Home Sweet Home

• I was born and raised in the Finger Lakes of NY.  I would still live there if I hadn't married someone who wanted to join the Air Force.  After living in Del Rio, Texas, Modesto, CA, and Pensacola, FL, the furthest North I would move was Winchester, VA.  I love Lodi, NY, and miss it there but the mild winters, early spring and long summers are wonderful here just a short six hours drive from "home".

• Funny you should mention that... well, now that you mention it I've lived in the NYC metro area, mostly in northern NJ. May 2005 I moved to northern Westchester Co. but still puts me less than 100 miles from where I was born & grew up.

Kurt W. Zimmerman
    SR DBA
    Lefrak Organization
    New York, NY

http://www.linkedin.com/in/kurtwzimmerman

• I was born in Mogi Guacu, Brazil (a small city in the country), moved to Sao Paulo, Brazil (about 180 km) seven years ago, and now I'm in Imigration Process to Sydney-Australia.

---------------------
    Alex Rosa
    http://www.keep-learning.com/blog

• I grew up in a small town in Washington and have never lived more than 25 miles from it except during college.  I agree with Stephanie Brown in that I haven't found a better place to live than western Washington.

Greg

Greg

• I'm a military brat, born overseas, but grew up in Virginia Beach. I now live about 140 miles from VB (but work about 90 miles from there).

Hey Steve, what part of VB did you live in?

Wayne

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• I'm also a Colorado immigrant.  I grew up and went to college in MN, but my wife and I have lived in Manitou Springs, CO for over 7 years now.  We came out here on family vacations when I was a kid, and I wanted to live out here ever since the first trip.  After college, I found we were always taking our vacations out here, so we just decided to make the move!  My wife would kinda like to go back sometimes to be closer to family, but I could never leave the mountains...

• My husband and I grew up on Cleveland's west side (in a large suburb, 80k pop.).  We went to college in Toledo, and we moved back to the Cleveland area after graduation.  Now we're on the east side of Cleveland (in a small suburb, ~11k pop.), but still not far from home.

Funny though... while I was in college, I swore up and down that I wouldn't come back here and that I'd move out to Denver, as I really loved the area when I was out there for OOPSLA '99.  That has yet to happen

• Originally born in Zimbabwe - nearest city that I can find reference for distance was Harare - now work between North Carolina, California and New York - so the greatest distance from my home is only 10251 miles or 16495 km - I guess I don't fall in the usual category - in fact I am not sure I could get further away

** What you see, Depends on what you Thought, Before, You looked! **

• I was born in Cuba, lived in Spain, Virginia, California, Illinois, South Carolina, Florida, Texas, Massachuettes, New York, and have visted most of Europe, South America, and the Carribean while serving in the U.S. Navy. Columbus, Ohio is home for the last 8 years, but home is wherever I plug my cat5 cable.

• Interesting conversations. Looks like most find the birth home area agreeable. Salmon think the same way!

I was raised on the coast of California, about 70 miles south of San Francisco. A great place to grow up as a kid. I would not raise my children there now however. Everybody else thought it was also great (think silicone valley 40 miles away) and moved in just to ruin it. The State of California is also hard on its citizens.

At 17 I left home with a toothbrush and $20 in my pocket. No home problems as I had great parents. Wound up in Illinois for a couple of years and then Alaska followed by Las Vegas. While here the first time, I spent most of my time in very remote locations only accessible by plane. A great experience for me. The pipeline was just being built but I nothing to do with that. But the sprit of Alaska set in and I knew it would later become home.

I returned back "home" for awhile to attend school and get married to a lovely girl from the desert area of California. She knew she would live in Alaska some day. I promised her 5 red headed boys in return. I guess I was testing her resolve for a strong marriage. She still agreed anyway. The boys didn't happen but living here did.

We moved back here in 1981 and have yet to find a better place to raise our kids. It has been a lot of fun. My oldest just graduated from the University here in Anchorage, the second is a sophomore there and the third starts next Fall. Other than distance from family, life is good. We are also only about 6-8 hours from family except we have to use a plane. In a distance of about 2500 air miles, we can be anywhere where family is. Phone and Internet keeps us connected.

Global warming is not a bad thing. Warmer winters, warmer summers, more snow to play in, more mosquitoes (okay, that's bad).

One day we will leave here and travel south far enough to where people ask me why I have an electrical plug hanging out the front grill of our vehicle.

Then I'll know my days of shoveling and snowmachining are behind me and a new home will be established.

• I enjoyed reading that...what did you do with the $20 and how long did it sustain you...what an adventure!

ps:just wondering if you actually meant to say "because of the" instead of "other than" in "other than distance from family...."

salmons, homing pigeons, acorns...looks like they all wanna stay home...

And to contradict all this is an excerpt from the beginning of an article just out on Yahoo front page...

"Americans were more likely to pull up roots in the Northeast and across the Rust Belt and put down stakes in the West and Southwest last year, according to a migration study by the nation's largest mover.

St. Louis, MO-based United Van Lines' "2006 Migration Study" of 227,254 interstate household moves in the 48 contiguous states and Washington, D.C. reveals a definitive migration pattern in the nation -- at least among those who used the mover's service.

United classifies each state as either "high inbound" (55 percent or more of the moves were into the state); "high outbound" (55 percent or more of moves out); or "balanced."

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Funny you should mention that, I just read that article myself....

I have lived in Columbus Ohio in the center of the 'Rust Belt' all my life and would love nothing more than to move to the Charlotte area or somewhere around there where it is warmer. (although I'd miss going to Cincinnati Reds games) However, a good job, the mess of pulling up stakes with two young kids and a dog, we just did alot to the house and the housing market is saturated here with homes for sale will keep us here. After the kids graduate from HS we DO plan on acting on it though.

• I grew up in China and now worked in Vancouver, Canada where it is about 6000 miles away from where I was born.

For the last 8 years, I worked across Canada from the eastern Halifax, NS to the western Victoria, BC and lived in 4 of the 6 biggest cities (population over 1 million).

Now I am considering to work in California after serveral heavy snow storms here in Vancouver.

• I grew up in rural northern New Hampshire and lived there until I entered college at Northeastern University in Boston, MA, approximately 200 miles south. 

After college I moved to the Seattle, WA area, where I have lived ever since. 

Even though I was an only child myself, my father was one of nine, and none of my family, that mostly lives in New England, has ever understood why I never moved back. 

In a nutshell, the Pacific Northwest beauty enchanted me.  I've lived here since the mid seventies, and while I love travelling and visiting other areas, it is my home.

I do eventually envision myself become a snowbird and living at least part of the year in the Southwest US, when I reach retirement.

• I grew up in New York City and Long Island, and now live in Orange County, California. So, about 3,000 miles away. 

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply