Home Sweet Home

• In case you've been following the weather around the country this past month, Denver has been blanketed with snow for most of the last month. We've gotten snow almost every week, freezing temperatures, and even an avalanche in the mountains on a well traveled road.

Out here at the ranch where I live, we've gotten quite a bit of snow and Bob from Alaska and I have exchanged shoveling, plowing, and freezing temperature stories over the last few weeks. As we were chatting in the slow, casual way that email allows, he mentioned an interesting poll:

How many people work within 100 miles of their birth home or where they grew up?

In this day of global commerce and cheap travel, I thought that was interesting. When I was growing up, I basically lived in the Virginia Beach area for most of the time I was growing up. We made a couple trips to Disney in Florida and when I got to 11th grade, I made a few trips to check out colleges.

Despite some traveling in college, I ended up living back in Virginia Beach for a decade after college working at my career, living within 20 miles of where I grew up. Then 9 years ago I came to Denver, so I've broached the 100 mile line and am not likely to return.

The West is now in my blood.

• I do. I grew up in the town that is the birthplace of President Harding and when it was time to goto college I went 50 miles south to Columbus Ohio and upon graduation got my first job here in a suburb of Columbus and have been with the same company for over 20 years now.

• I'm from Sydney and I work in London. I thought it was the furthest between two capital cities at 13477 miles. But apparently Aukland to London is 14202. It's one thing the Kiwis have over us (oh yeah, and their Rugby team is ok too).

• I am now working about 5 miles from where I was born, both in London, but I live about 80 miles away.  Between then and now I have lived and/or worked in Boston - about 3800 miles, Lagos - about 3000 miles, Birmingham - a mere 120 miles, Basle - about 800 miles, Amsterdam - about 200 miles and a few others.

People are definitely more mobile these days then a generation or 2 ago (WWII excepted).

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I was born in Sandhurst in the UK (west of London), moved to South Africa, and now live in Nantwich, Cheshire in the UK. Well over 100 miles form my brithplace, and even further from the place I partly grew up in.

Craig Muckleston

MCSD.NET

MCAD.NET

MCTS

MCP

• I too have not wandered far from where I was born.  I work about 35 miles from my birthplace and have never had a job more than 100 miles away.  In fact I still live about two blocks from where I was born. 

• Hmm...sounds like the acorns indeed do not fall too far from the tree...guess it's true of most people all over the world...

For my part, given that I was born in India, this discussion is moot (or "moo" as Remi would have it) - and even while growing up since my father was in the Air Force, we were stationed at different locations every few years so there was no "home" as such... - guess that was what put the wanderlust in me...

But now that my teen years and youth have receded into the far distance I infinitely prefer my current lifestyle...put down roots in one place and then travel to all your dream destinations..

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• I live near where I was born as well. I've seen some other places I liked but none that I liked so much I wanted to move there!

• Score another one for staying close to home. My wife and I currently live about 30 miles from where we grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago. We strongly considered heading westward a couple years ago, but ended up staying here. As our parents grow older, we will be their primary caregivers, so it didn't make sense in the long run to leave.

• I was born in western Massachusetts and left when I was 17 to join the Coast Guard, which was a fantastic experience.  I ended up at a search and rescue station in Panama City, FL.  I seriously considered staying south, but after my 4yr hitch I went back to Massachusetts to go to college.  Since then, I live about 50 miles away in Connecticut.  I guess there's something about New England that you don't want to leave.  It could be the skiing in Vermont, the camping in New Hampshire or the lobster-fests in Maine.  Ultimately, nothing beats attending a RedSox versus Yankees game at Fenway Park! Go SOX!

• After I graduated college (which was in my home town), I accepted a job almost 600 miles away from home.  I've been in this location for about 4 years now and hopefully I will get to move around some more.  However, I do not have any plans of returning home.

• The farthest that I lived from my birthplace was when attending college.  But that was only about 150 miles away.  Now I live and work within 50 miles of my hometown.

The storms that dumped snow in Colorado have spared Minnesota for the most part, but that seems to be changing recently.  I guess I better keep the snow plow handy.

Scott

• Add one for the 100 miles or greater.

Since college I have never been within 100 miles of home. I cannot say that I don't wish I was closer to family, espically as my parents gets older and need assistance. 

Currently I live in Fort Worth, TX and am about 1500 miles from Almont, which is a small town in southeastern Michigan were I grew up.  After college I moved 180 miles away to northern Michigan before the company eventually moved me to TX. As of Feb 10th I will be heading back to the midwest.  Its still not within 100 miles but at least its less than a days drive "home".

• About 240 miles away from home for me.  I grew up in Decatur, Ga, suburb of Atlanta, and left there to go to college in Rock Hill, SC, kind of a suburb of Charlotte, NC.  Graduated and ended up working for the university going on 6 1/2 years now.

• I was born 40 km north of Amsterdam, went to school and later attended college there. Dreamed most of my youth about living and working all over the globe, but except for living 10 months at a dutch military base in Germany, came back to my place of birth just the same. Worked in Amsterdam for 10 years but changed jobs to spend more time with the family one year ago, so now I am also working where I live. The dream is still alive though. With global warming seemingly irreversible, this part of the Netherlands will be flooded in 30 years or so. We plan to move either to Vienna (which is where my mother came from) or to Warsaw or Krakow (which is where my wife comes from). This is providing we don't win the lottery, in which case we'll move to southern Spain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply