home lab set up

• Hi guys,

I'm after advice on setting up a home lab.  Basically where to get the OS & SQL server software.  I'd like a mix of a DC, 2 x 16 with AAAG, a 12 and a 2008.

So for the few win OS & SQL isos I require (for my test only) I guess I'm looking at either MAP or MSDN?  Either than or get evaluation and watch it all stop working in 6 months.

Is there any other option?  I understand MAP doesn't have many of the older versions (like 2008 that I still work on) and MSDN is super expensive.  I just want to check I haven't missed anything.

Thank you.

• the six month/180 day evaluation is not that painful in a lab.

it is great practice to build machines over and over, join them to your lab's domain, and ideally, you want to create powershell scripts to automate everything from Setting up the cluster to installing SQL server to your basic configs for SQL as well. automation and repeat-ability needs to be part of your lab mindset because of the evaluations.

if you need to, you can run C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\sysprep.exe to reset the box with a new name and ipconfig, the same software but most of the same settings in place, rejoin it to the domain, and you are back in the testing business.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Fair points once again Lowell.  I hadn't considered using the whole thing as a lesson in installation automation.  I'll proceed with the eval route.  You've saved me a few pennies.  Your cheque is in the post.  🙂

Thank you.

• +1 for Lowell's comments that the expiring lab OS can be a driver for learning the Powershell and command-line install steps to re-build a domain and some clusters. Home labs that don't expire aren't labs so much as a place you build something once and stop.

I've been running my home lab for years on evals and Powershell Direct:

- One set of scripts to create a new Gold master image

- another to roll a pair of DCs and a domain from it

- another to build one or more Windows Storage Services servers to act as VSANs

- another to build clusters of varying shape and size (x stand-alone nodes, x nodes+shared storage, x nodes+shared storage + x nodes + shared storage)

- another to install a number of SQL instances on the cluster(s), add databases and wire up some AGs

You won't learn anything about SQL Server at first while you work through the scripting, but you will blow up your automation skillset and come out of it with way more than you initially planned.

* A 'master image' is a Windows server built to act as the 'default install' for everything. Install/copy software to this VM that you want all or most of your VMs to have. Once built, run sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /mode:vm /shutdown to turn that VM's virtual hard disk into a master disk. Mark that file read-only. When building new VMs, start by creating the hard disk first, and build it as a differencing disk with your master disk as the source for the differencing disk. The machine will start up like you just finished a new install of all the things you left on the master disk, but without taking the time and disk space to re-install everything. With a master disk and differencing disks, you can smash out a domain and a cluster in a few minutes.

Note: docs on sysprep 

/oobe = Out Of Box Experience - the next start of the machine will begin with the OOBE (welcome, set admin password, etc.)

/generalize = remove all machine identity, allowing the image to be started as a fresh install while leaving software in place

/mode:vm = because it's a VM

/shutdown = required; turn off the VM once sysprep completes

glhf

-Eddie

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply