Holiday Coverage

• Steve Jones - Editor (12/28/2009)

Mzak,

you are correct. However many jobs, many IT jobs, don't specify holiday requirements. I've never had that be stated when I was hired. You're expected to "do the job". Being a 24x7 shop doesn't mean you work every holiday, or that you work holidays without compensation. Typically lots of those jobs, like snow plow people, get paid more when they work on a holiday.

The jobs I have held followed this idea of "do the job" 24x7x365. Most had no compensation for on-call nor for holidays - the job had to be done. Nowhere in the contract was it stated as such, but the expectation was there. And it was fun :rolleyes:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• lmu92 (12/31/2009)

I know a company that runs the following concept:

During weekend and Holiday there will be a three level support system:

Level 1: On Call

You have to be reachable by phone for 12hrs and you'll need to be able to (remote) log in within one hour after receiving the call. 12hrs are paid 50%, the time you're Online: 100%.

Level 2: Stand by

You have to be reachable by phone for 12hrs and you'll need to be physically in the office within one hour. 12hrs are paid 100%. Time you're "in": 150%.

Level 3: On duty

It's just like a "normal working day", except getting 150% paid.

Sounds like a fair concept to me...

I have heard of companies like this, or at least that compensate for on-call and holiday work. I think it is a fair concept. In a few places, we worked very hard to change the holiday and on-call ingrained ideas that IT personnel must work only for the base contract and be available at every beck and call. The attempt was successful in some instances. However, that was only requesting a half day off for the on-call weeks.

Having a compensation scale such as this would be perfectly fair (from an employee perspective).

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (12/31/2009)

The jobs I have held followed this idea of "do the job" 24x7x365. Most had no compensation for on-call nor for holidays - the job had to be done. Nowhere in the contract was it stated as such, but the expectation was there. And it was fun :rolleyes:

I've usually asked about this, and negotiated something in the interview/hiring process. You have to not be afraid to ask about this when you are being interviewed.

• Steve Jones - Editor (12/31/2009)

CirquedeSQLeil (12/31/2009)

I've usually asked about this, and negotiated something in the interview/hiring process. You have to not be afraid to ask about this when you are being interviewed.

Good point. I have heard of these tactics before - and used them on occassion (but not for on-call coverage). I will have to use that the next time I am offered a position.

1. It doesn't hurt to ask

2. If they want you, they will negotiate.

3. If they don't budge, it might be an indicator of what it may be like if you take the job.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply