hMailServer 5.6.7 - B2425.

• Attention: SQL ServerCentral.com staff:
         I downloaded hMailServer 5.6.7 - B2425 and have been waiting for at least 2.5 hours for the hMailServer Setup wizard to finalize the installation - it gives the following message:
    "Initializing hMailServer database..."
    How much time is required to initialize the hMailServer 5.6.7 - B2425 database?  I had previously installed hMailServer 5.6.6 - B2383 and was at least able to log in to SQL Server ( SQL Server 2017 Developer Edition ), but was not able to connect to the hMailServer database through the hMailServer Administrator dialog box, for example ( I uninstalled hMailServer 5.6.6 - B2383 earlier today ).  Should I reinstall hMailServer 5.6.6 - B2383 or continue to wait for the hMailServer 5.6.7 - B2425 database to initialize?  Thank you ( see Colossians 3:15, for example ) for your help.  Keep in touch.

Sincerely in Christ,
    Russell E. Willis
    P.S. - Please read Proverbs 23:23.

• I don't think that hMailServer is a product offered by sqlservercentral and as such, it is unlikely that you will get much support here for that.
    You would likely get better support by contacting the hMailServer creators.  If I am reading things right, it is a free mail server, so support is likely from their community.

If you can't get help from their community, I would recommend starting up profiler or extended events on your SQL 2017 instance just to see what is going on when it is trying to initialize the database.  It could be something simple like a permission error or trying to create a database that already exists or something.  The hMailServer website indicates that you should be using SQL Server 2008, so it could be it doesn't properly support SQL Server 2017.

Did you follow the steps outlined in the hmailserver setup for MSSQL (https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation/v5.4/?page=howto_connect_to_mssql)?

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Attention: bmg002:
         Thank you ( see Colossians 3:15, for example ) for your suggestions.  I will try them.  It seems odd, though, that I will have to downgrade to SQL version 2008.  Also, do you know if SQL Server version 2017 can be used with the SmarterMail Version 15.7.6698 e-mail server?  I downloaded that software yesterday, and have been able to successfully configure that e-mail server.  Keep in touch.

Sincerely in Christ,
    Russell E. Willis
    P.S. - Please read Proverbs 23:23.
    P.P.S. - I have also included a file showing an hMailServer database icon in Database Engine Tuning Advisor.  I am assuming this means that the hMailServer database has already been created.  Am I correct?  If so, then why am I not able to successfully create the database in the hMailServer Database Setup wizard ( assuming that I need to do so )?  Answers to these questions may determine if I need to downgrade to SQL Server 2008.

• Honestly, I have no idea.

I would recommend looking at the requirements for that application.  Glancing at the manual for SmarterMail version 5, it says that SQL Server 2005 or higher is recommended.

As for hMailServer using SQL Server 2008, that is just what the documentation I found indicates.  It may work on newer versions, or it may not.  There were a lot of changes between 2008 and 2017.

I do think you would get better support from the associated application support platforms though.

I have no experience with either of those applications.  My company uses Microsoft Exchange as our mail server.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• A quick skim of the https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation/latest/?page=system_requirements documentation indicates that this product is only supported on SQL Server up to SQL Server 2016.

As mentioned above, you might have better luck with your problems on the hmailserver forums themselves rather than here.

All hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster and his noodley appendages

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply