HIPAA Compliance

• As we all know, SQL Server 2008/2008R2 is no longer being supported after July 9, 2019. I know that to be HIPAA Compliant you cannot be using a version of SQL Server that is no longer being supported.
    We are moving to SQL Server 2016, however, we want to leave our Databases in Compatibility Mode 100 which is SQL Server 2008. Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction to insure that we
    will be  HIPAA Compliant?

• ericwenger1 - Monday, July 16, 2018 9:29 AM

As we all know, SQL Server 2008/2008R2 is no longer being supported after July 9, 2019. I know that to be HIPAA Compliant you cannot be using a version of SQL Server that is no longer being supported.
    We are moving to SQL Server 2016, however, we want to leave our Databases in Compatibility Mode 100 which is SQL Server 2008. Can anyone tell me or point me in the right direction to insure that we

Can't point you to what you are looking for but I can tell you that if you move your database to SQL Server 2016, you are on SQL Server 2016 regardless of the compatibility mode being used.  The difference will come to using the older cardinality estimator and certain features of 2016 not being available (not sure which ones of the top of my head).

• Lynn Pettis - Monday, July 16, 2018 2:11 PM

ericwenger1 - Monday, July 16, 2018 9:29 AM

As we all know, SQL Server 2008/2008R2 is no longer being supported after July 9, 2019. I know that to be HIPAA Compliant you cannot be using a version of SQL Server that is no longer being supported.

Can't point you to what you are looking for but I can tell you that if you move your database to SQL Server 2016, you are on SQL Server 2016 regardless of the compatibility mode being used.  The difference will come to using the older cardinality estimator and certain features of 2016 not being available (not sure which ones of the top of my head).

Things that won't work with compatibility level of 2008 include, but may not be limited to:  LEAD, LAG, certain other iwndowed aggregates, STRING_SPLIT, sequence objects, DATEDIFF_BIG and other "BIG" versions of date or datetime functions, DROP IF EXISTS, CREATE OR ALTER PROCEDURE, a crap ton of dmvs, the new cardinality estimator, etc...

Steve (aka sgmunson) 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Rent Servers for Income (picks and shovels strategy)

• Thanks for your reply. I agree. Trying to find specific HIPAA Rules regarding SQL Server in the weeds I don't believe exits.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply