High Page File Usage

• So, you cannot lock pages in memory unless you have installed SP3 and at least CU4 - and I believe you also have to use a trace flag when starting SQL Server. Review the document that an earlier poster referenced for specific instructions on how to get that set up.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Got your Point jeff,

now i know sql server is :

Using dynamic lock allocation. Initial allocation of 2500 Lock blocks and 5000 Lock Owner blocks per node.

This is the message in the logs during the starting process of sql server.

Now i have two questions:

1) can i directly install sp3 CU4? or do i have to go through a sequence

2) Can i just reduce the max memory without "page locking in memory"?

• You have to install SP3 first - then install CU4, and finally - you have to modify the startup to include the trace flag according to that article.

To your second point, yes - you can reduce the max memory until you no longer see the message about SQL Server memory being paged out. However, if your system is getting to that point - it needs that memory so you really should move forward with upgrading.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Got it Boss,

I will let you know the results, my steps are :

1) upgrade to sp3

2) reduce memory to about 12 gb --- will check results for improvements

3) upgrade the CU4

4) use the page locking in memory

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply