High CPU and Physical IO

• Hi,

I am facing this typical issue with high value for CPU usage and Physical IO on one of the SQL Server box. This is in a cluster environment and hosting multiple databases. But none of them is on high OLTP setup.

CPU usage : 4731125

Physical IO : 670223

Please help me to indentify the reason behind and workaround.

• Atul DBA (9/16/2009)

Hi,

I am facing this typical issue with high value for CPU usage and Physical IO on one of the SQL Server box. This is in a cluster environment and hosting multiple databases. But none of them is on high OLTP setup.

CPU usage : 4731125

Physical IO : 670223

Please help me to indentify the reason behind and workaround.

Could be a number of reasons, you need to do some troubleshooting and post more details, you dont mention if it is on a san for example.

Check activity on the server, isolate the process that is reporting this high usage. you can use the performance dashboard reports at server level to help you with this, such as performance - top queries by total IO. or use sp_who2 or even profiler. as well as perfmon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply