High availability solution

• Hi
    Please suggest best high availability disaster recovery  solution for sqlserver2016 standard edition on windows server 2016 standard edition.
    Is the Logshipping  best solution ??
    Thank you.

• The 'best' will be determined by your requirements, RPO, RTO among them.

You have basic availability groups, log shipping and failover clustering as your main options on Standard Edition.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes the RPO and RTO are key. But i think it's fair to say that high availability means near real time data synchronisation, automatic failover and zero data loss, not something you can achieve with log shipping... so it depends how specific you are being about the terms HA and DR...

• doodlingdba - Monday, July 9, 2018 3:17 AM

But i think it's fair to say that high availability means near real time data synchronisation, automatic failover and zero data loss, not something you can achieve with log shipping...

Zero data loss is near impossible to guarantee. You need a massive amount of infrastructure to get that. Something like availability groups can get close most of the time, but it's a lot of moving parts and for companies without skilled DBAs is often too much admin/monitoring.

I've done a bunch of 'HA' where 15 minutes data loss and manual failover is considered acceptable.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply