High availability

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item High availability

“When I hear somebody sigh, ‘Life is hard,’ I am always tempted to ask, ‘Compared to what?’” - Sydney Harris

• Nice fairly simple QOD to end the week --- Thanks

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Got it right! Seems I was paying attention during the Always On session at SQLBits, after all!!

But from my perspective, the most serious disadvantage is that to take advantage of it, you need to have Enterprise-level editions of stuff, which many of us just can't afford.

It is about time that Microsoft realised that even small players need robust solutions. I can do without analytics, and backup compression and other high flying stuff, but every small business that needs to deploy a database solution really ought to be able to make it HA.

Right - that's my rant for today. Back to work ... :crazy:

• Thanks for the question.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Interesting question and answer.

I thought the answer should have been something not listed at all. Surely the big disadvantage is the failure to interact sensibly with Failover Cluster Instances: no automatic recovery, has to be manual; Add Dastabase and Add Replica don't support proper initialisation for secondary databases, so this has to be ground out manually in advance of joining the secondaries to the FCI; and changing the network name of an instance looks like a right pain. That was not an option, so I couldn't make that my answer. The other thing I though of was price - supported only by Enterprise Edition with the new 2012 licensing arrangement for SQL Server will put this outside the price ranmge of a lot of companies; but that wasn't one of teh options offered either. So I picked one of the options that were offered at random (got it wrong: the odds were 3 to 1 that I would - or actually 2 to 1, since multi-database failure is and advantage not a disadvantage so my pick wasn't quite at random) so that I could see the answer.

I'm not impressed by the answer. I think that both the disadvantages I mentioned above are going to be a pain for far more people than the one given as the answer here. Sure enough in the short term the restriction to one domain is a potential pain for people migrating from a two-domain mirroring system, but I can't imagine it being as much long term pain as the enormous price boost or the screw-up of the interaction with FCIs.

edit: I see that the reference given in the explanation doesn't actually say that the single domain restriction is the biggest disadvantage; it actually says it's one of the biggest disadvantages.

Tom

• Thanks for the question. My gratitude is in no way influenced by the fact that I selected the correct answer. 😉

However, I'm leary of questions that rely on a reference to something like (taken from reference given):

Side Note: In my opinion this one of the biggest disadvantages of AlwaysOn Availability Groups. ...

Things get tricky when we have to decide which of something is the best or worst, when no criteria are given for the comparative evaluation. In my opinion (irony intended), Tom's issues would make answers every bit as worthy to be selected as "biggest disadvantages".

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• Bob Cullen-434885 (5/4/2012)

Got it right! Seems I was paying attention during the Always On session at SQLBits, after all!!

But from my perspective, the most serious disadvantage is that to take advantage of it, you need to have Enterprise-level editions of stuff, which many of us just can't afford.

It is about time that Microsoft realised that even small players need robust solutions. I can do without analytics, and backup compression and other high flying stuff, but every small business that needs to deploy a database solution really ought to be able to make it HA.

Right - that's my rant for today. Back to work ... :crazy:

Wait for SQL Server 2012 R2. Backup Compression was Enterprise only in 2008, and went mainstream in 2008 R2.

Gotta have features for the Enterprise Edition before everybody gets it, or nobody will buy EE.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• Thanks for the question.

• Interesting question that required googling skills.

• Thanks for the question, but as others have mentioned, the answer may not be its biggest disadvantage. Probably the question would be better stated "Of the ones listed, which is the biggest disadvantage..."

"El" Jerry.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• Nice question. Haven't gotten into this feature yet.

• certainly a subjective question, but nonetheless, an interesting topic to round out the week. Cheers

• Good question

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Great and informative topic on 'High Availability'. The restriction to have one's database instances on the same domain in a huge hinderance.

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply