Hide URL in nvaigation link?

• Hi,

My report has got a column that lists a relevant document per row. The Naviagation of the column is set up to Jump to URL, with a report parameter containing the URL and a field that relates to the file name. I can successfully open files from the URL using this link.

However, my issue is that the URL reference points to a file server which should not be generally accessible. So the URL parameter is set up to be Hidden and Internal, with the aim being that it should not be shown to users. On opening a document, only the filename is shown as the window title - the URL is not shown. But when hovering over one of the links, the full path is shown in the IE footer.

Can I do anything about this in my report, or is this a feature of IE that I have no control over?

Thanks in advance,

Gary.

• Gary,

this is a browser feature, not specific to IE but also others you can't control that from your report. Maybe if you only have internal users there's a possibility to disable this behavior through a group policy but I cannot tell for sure.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• I thought that might be the case.

Thanks for the reply Markus!

• An idea if I understand this correctly....you could probably do this via javascript.

You could try to embed a javascript function within the report which does the redirection based on a parameter. The user should only see the link to the javascript function when rolling over the link. However having a quick look into this it isn't going to be easy embedding javascript into the report.

A second option is based on the fact that reporting services server will host HTML files as well as reports. You could create a HTML document which contains javascript to redirect the user based on a parameter passed to it on the URL and upload it to a folder in SSRS using the . The server location would be within the javascript and therefore not obviously visible to the user. The properties of your browser window could also also be determined by you if you use a popup.

Within you report create the got action to the HTML file hosted by SSRS and pass a parameter such as the file name.

I hope this helps.

Daniel

• My apologies for resurrecting such an old post, but I am looking for a similar solution as Gary's question, and have not found any answers yet.

In response to Daniel's suggestion of using javascript, I have found some posts indicating that it is indeed possible to inject javascript into SSRS (such as these from MSDN:

is-it-possible-to-embed-javascript-inside-an-ssrs-report

embed-javascript-into-ssrs-report)

However, they do not indicate how you could use it for this particular problem (i.e. hiding of URLs); could anyone provide some practical examples of the javascript code to use?

Alternatively, how would one do this with an HTML document (Daniel's second suggestion)?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply