HI all . Glad to see you all . Need guidance :)

• Hi all ,

I am a newbie , actually was learning JAVA , but now i got job in SQL server as fresher . Now i want to know how to start my carrier in Sql server so help me in

what to learn ? from where to learn ?

And i want to know the difference between DBA and database developer . who plays the vital role and important role(highly paid salary) , DBA or database developer ?

Do i have to learn C# for doing effective task? ....sorry for my too many newbie question s , i hope you all will kindly help me .. thanks in advance 🙂

• And i want to know the difference between DBA and database developer . who plays the vital role and important role(highly paid salary) , DBA or database developer ?

Like many thing in SQL Server the answer is "IT DEPENDS". In some companies it is the DBA who is the highest paid, in others the developer, and in some both individual contributions are noted and each earns the same or close to the same salary and each has a vital role. It depends upon the company and the individuals capablilties.

Do i have to learn C# for doing effective task?

Again It depends. If you can program effectively using C#, and that capability is required for the environment you are working in, then by all means learn C#. If programing using T-SQL is sufficient to perform the required tasks, then knowing C# is not an advantage (Salary wise-higher pay).

If when hired and assigned to be a DBA, the first things I would place on my things to learn list would be:

1. How to properly perform database and log backups.

2. How to restore a backup to a given point in time.

3. Which type of backups to be performing (Simple, Bulk,full DB back up with frequent log backup and frequency of log backup).

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• I learn something new everyday from reading this site and posting solutions to questions.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Previous to me taking additional DBA tasks, I had been learning C#. Now, I am learning Powershell as well as the DBA roles/tasks.

As for where to learn, there are great articles and ebooks on this site. Do not miss the stairways series and always have a go at the QotD. Like with everything in computing, there is more than one way to perform tasks and nobody should say "This is the right way". What works for one setup may not work for another.

• One thing I strongly advise: Do not take this career path just for the possibility of high pay. If you do not like what you are doing, then the pay is not enough to compensate for the miserable job you will end up with. And it will be miserable, no matter how good an employer you work for, if you don't like working with SQL Server.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (7/6/2012)

One thing I strongly advise: Do not take this career path just for the possibility of high pay. If you do not like what you are doing, then the pay is not enough to compensate for the miserable job you will end up with. And it will be miserable, no matter how good an employer you work for, if you don't like working with SQL Server.

+1 + 1

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (7/6/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (7/6/2012)

One thing I strongly advise: Do not take this career path just for the possibility of high pay. If you do not like what you are doing, then the pay is not enough to compensate for the miserable job you will end up with. And it will be miserable, no matter how good an employer you work for, if you don't like working with SQL Server.

+1 + 1

I'm going to +1 to this as well. I couldn't have said it any better myself. I never thought I'd be in the position that I'm in, but I wouldn't have it any other way now. I enjoy what I do and that's all that matters to me. It's one thing to go to work everyday, it's another thing to actually enjoy being there and love what you're doing. (most of the time anyways :-D)

Everything is awesome!

• hi guys ,

Thanks a lot for all your valuable replies and help . I thank you all again .

one more query now ; i want to learn the basic database concepts , so can any one suggest me some nice and good book ? thanks in adance

• I don't know any of the new books, but I do recommend studying recovery / backup, learning all variations on the SELECT statement, and security.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply