Heroes

• Roger Staubach was THE MAN!!! I remember growing up in the Dallas area and hearing people refer to Texas Stadium (where the Cowboys play) as the House that Meredith Built and Staubach Paid For.

I've had a lot of fun over the last 10 years hunting down and collecting the rookie cards of the Dallas Cowboys I watched play as a kid.

However, when I was on the field playing, it wasn't Staubach I was pretending to be. When I was playing running back, I pretended to be Earl Campbell (Houton Oilers) and when on defense, I pretended to be Randy "the Manster" White.

Still I wouldn't call them my heroes. If anyone was back then, it was Muhammad Ali. I was fascinated that someone had the courage to stand up and tell the government that he refused to go to war because of his religious beliefs. I read everything I could find about him.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Michael Jordan

I was 11 when Jordan and the Bulls won their first championship in 1990, and I have been a Bulls fan ever since. 

The reasons for liking Jordan as a player are obvious, but what stands out in my mind now, is how he handled the pressure and responsibility of being the world's most recognizable athlete.  So many celebrities and athletes are so caught up in themselves that they don't think about how their actions affect so many that look up to them as heroes. 

• I'll have to second Bert's post.  While I did not have a specific 'hero' growing up, I've always had strong feelings towards our armed forces and the sacrifices they've made throughout the history of this great country.  My Father served overseas during the Vietnam era and my Grandfather served in WWII in the Air Force where he was shot down over Nazi Germany.  He survived the crash and 2 years in a Nazi POW camp.  He died about a decade ago, but I'll always remember those like him who paid the price for our freedom.  Most Vets say that the 'real' hero's are the ones who died in service, I consider anyone who serves or has served in our military to be my 'hero'.  Nothing great ever happens without effort and sacrifice.  Thanks to all who have done both in the name of freedom. 

As a side note, let's not forget about another man who paid the ultimate price for all of us... Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays) SSC!

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• I have long had a disdain for "hero" worship of sports figures and Hollywood types. Most are not role models. Even more so today with gazillion dollar incomes that go up their nose, down their throats or into somebody else's bed. There will always be the few exceptions that shine through and maybe I will met some of them today.

The real heroes in my life are those that go out of the way of normal life to help others. God and parents are at the top of that list. Lenny Skutnik and those like him are another. People that do what was needed to be done and then moved on with their lives.

Normal people doing what's necessary to help another in need without thinking about receiving any reward or possibly any thanks. They may not have saved the baby from a burning building or pushed somebody out of the way. They may not be a paid professional to do just that. But maybe it was somebody that will help serve a meal on Christmas day at the local shelter. Or who drop off food or clothes whenever requested. Or who said a kind word to stranger that perhaps did not look like they them but perhaps looked more deserving of a swift kick back into the gutter. Charity and helping is a 24/7 choice.

Just this morning, I saw 3 people stopping to help a young lady push her high centered VW bug out of the snow at a busy intersection. We have had about 12" of snow over the last two days and some of the roads are still a mess. Are these heroes? They certainly were to this young lady. People going out of there way helping others. And before you ask, I became the fourth person to stop and help and used my 4x4 to pull her out. But that's part of being an Alaskan and why I enjoy living here.

Worship those who titillate us with their exploits? No way.

If you can find one, thank a W.W.II veteran for the life you have today. How many remember the last Hollywood version of Pearl Harbor? Ben Affleck's character was based on a real life person who was not even consulted or granted permission to be portrayed by him. Until recently, he lived his life quietly here in Anchorage and past away last month in Arizona.

He and others like him did what had to be done to help others.

A real hero.

• that touched my heart Bob. specifically this paragraph...

The real heroes in my life are those that go out of the way of normal life to help others. God and parents are at the top of that list. Lenny Skutnik and those like him are another. People that do what was needed to be done and then moved on with their lives.

i don't know who is Lenny Skutnik though

• Jambu - read Tim Morrisons comments on the first page and follow the link about Lenny. You will read about several other heroes that day.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply