Help with Unpivot (or similar)

• Hi all

I have a table that holds order details in columns.

eg.

OrderNo, Prod1, Prod2, Prod3..........Qty1, Qty2, Qty3.......... Val1, Val2, Val3

I am trying to transpose the data into rows so that you just get:

OrderNo, Product, Qty, Val

There are 10 product columns in each row, so I know I can do it with 10 union all statements, but since there could be 1,000,000 rows it seems like it would be rather slow to do so. I have tried using UNPIVOT, which works great if I unpivot just the product columns, but I can't work out how to unpivot say the product and the qty columns without it duplicating data. I have to umpivot upto 6 sets of columns, when I tried it for 1 order it generated millions of rows (should have been a couple of hundred)

I've never tried unpivot before, so hopefully there's a simple answer.

SELECT transfer_order, (page_number * 10) + RIGHT(prods,2) -10 AS line_no, product, reqd_qty, unit_cost

FROM

(SELECT transfer_order, to_warehouse, to_warehouse_name, transfer_status, from_warehouse, page_number

, product01, product02, product03, product04, product05, product06, product07, product08, product09, product10

, reqd_qty01, reqd_qty02, reqd_qty03, reqd_qty04, reqd_qty05, reqd_qty06, reqd_qty07, reqd_qty08, reqd_qty09, reqd_qty10

, unit_cost01, unit_cost02, unit_cost03, unit_cost04, unit_cost05, unit_cost06, unit_cost07, unit_cost08, unit_cost09, unit_cost10

FROM OrderDetails) p

UNPIVOT (product FOR prods in (product01, product02, product03, product04, product05, product06, product07, product08, product09, product10)) AS prods

UNPIVOT (reqd_qty FOR reqqty in (reqd_qty01, reqd_qty02, reqd_qty03, reqd_qty04, reqd_qty05, reqd_qty06, reqd_qty07, reqd_qty08, reqd_qty09, reqd_qty10)) AS reqqty

UNPIVOT (unit_cost FOR uc in (unit_cost01, unit_cost02, unit_cost03, unit_cost04, unit_cost05, unit_cost06, unit_cost07, unit_cost08, unit_cost09, unit_cost10)) AS uc

WHERE transfer_order = 'Z000012'

AND product <> ''

Thanks

• UNPIVOT will not work for your query, because it will only produce one unpivoted column per statement, and you need three. You can use a CROSS APPLY to make the UNION ALL much more efficient.

SELECT OrderNo, Prod, Qty, Val

FROM YourTable

CROSS APPLY (

SELECT Prod1, Qt1, Val1

UNION ALL

SELECT Prod2, Qt2, Val2

UNION ALL

SELECT Prod3, Qt3, Val3

UNION ALL

SELECT Prod4, Qt4, Val4

UNION ALL

) AS LineItems

Since there is no table referenced in the inner query, it uses the value from the outer query and the table is only scanned once instead of once for each Prodn column.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Thanks Drew

That seems a bit easier to maintain and works pretty fast.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply