Help with revoking perms for a user on particular table

• created database role deny_read

added all users/groups to that role

Deny select on test_table to public

(all user are denied read perms on test_table as of now)

now,

revoke select on test_table to test_user ( removed the test_user from deny_read role)

[highlight=#ffff11]still the user can't select data from test_table.[/highlight]

please help me out whether iam on track 🙂

-gowtham m

• MG Chowdary (6/22/2011)

created database role deny_read

added all users/groups to that role

Deny select on test_table to public

(all user are denied read perms on test_table as of now)

now,

revoke select on test_table to test_user ( removed the test_user from deny_read role)

[highlight=#ffff11]still the user can't select data from test_table.[/highlight]

please help me out whether iam on track 🙂

-gowtham m

I'm not sure what your question is here. Are you wondering why test_user can't SELECT from test_table? It's because test_user is a member of public, and you haven't REVOKEd the DENY from public.

John

• MG Chowdary (6/22/2011)

now,

Not true. This command does not remove the user from the role. It just revokes any explicit deny permission that the user might have on that table. The user is still member of the role, and is still denied select on the table.

You can read more on the permission checking algorithm here:

Deny permissions will almost always take precedence over a grant.

Exceptions:

- Grant on column-level will override deny on object level.

- You cannot grant, deny, or revoke permissions to sa, dbo, the entity owner, information_schema, sys, or yourself. (Cut and paste from BOL)

• I'm not sure what your question is here. Are you wondering why test_user can't SELECT from test_table? It's because test_user is a member of public, and you haven't REVOKEd the DENY from public.

John

Thanks for ur reply,

Then whats the workaround in that kinda situation where a particular user need to be given select perms and rest are denied

i denied select for public because the default public role has read perms on all objects so to avoid new users from selecting data i denied select on public.

(hope i conveyed what i need plz let me know if need any details)

-gowtham m

• MG Chowdary (6/26/2011)

i denied select for public because the default public role has read perms on all objects so to avoid new users from selecting data i denied select on public.

The public role doesn't have any permissions on user-created (as opposed to system) objects by default. If the permissions are there, it's because you granted them. Try revoking all GRANTs from public on user objects and then just granting access to users (or, better still, roles) that need it.

John

• If you want deny user from select the table

you should

Deny select on test_table to test_user

"revoke select on test_table to test_user"

only remove the select permission of this user (test_user) from table

if this user is belong to certain group, let say test_group

and test_group have "SELECT" permission on test_table,

test_user still able to select the data from the table

If you deny select on test_table to test_user

it will override any permission grant(through group) to this user

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply