help with pulling text from string - only to the right of a particular word

• I'm writing a stored procedure that will pull in patient data. One item that I need is the Findings from chest xrays. The text from that document is one large text field. I don't want the whole document; just whatever is documented after the word "Findings:" That word could be at ANY point in the document - it could be 100 characters into the string; it could be 1000 characters into the string. I want it to find the word "Findings" in the string, and then give me whatever comes after it. I've been playing with substring and charindex, but haven't gotten anything to work right yet. Please help if you can! Thanks!

• Something like this?

DECLARE @a TABLE(

ATextvarchar(1000))

INSERT INTO @a(AText)

VALUES('This is some sample text. It is almost ChristmasTime! X-Ray Results look uh... good... (I''m a programmer, not a doctor)')

INSERT INTO @a(AText)

VALUES('This is a second Line, just to put X-Ray (Still Good) in a different place')

SELECT RIGHT(AText,DATALENGTH(AText)-PATINDEX('%X-Ray%',AText)-5)

FROM @a A

This is not likely to be that fast.

If there are issues with this (such as using an actual TEXT field), please refer to the post in my signatuer on how to post table structure / sample data so we can eliminate the variables.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Also, if it is actually a TEXT field, just change the RIGHT to a substring

SELECT SUBSTRING(AText,PATINDEX('%X-Ray%',AText)+5,DATALENGTH(AText)-PATINDEX('%X-Ray%',AText)-5)

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• You're too quick for me today, Seth. One important thing to remember is that although charindex and substring work normally with text columns, the LEN function doesn't. The use of DATALENGTH above is the key to making this work.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply