help with normalization

• i have a excel worksheet that i need to create a database for. The design has me stuck.

All the information on the worksheet relates to a particular policy.

The information could then be categorized under two more headings; sections and questions.

policy_number

start_date

end_date

total

policy_number

Qtext

Qanswer

policy_number

Section_text

Sect_Ans

Damage

Lib

credit

subtotal

My problem is that I can't figure out how to relate the information in the

section and questions tables with a particular policy without adding policy_number to each table.

Thereby reaching a higher normal form of the database.

I want to figure out a way to remove the policy_number feild from the section and questions tables, but still relate each text and answer back to a particular policy.

• Why would you want to eliminate policy_number? That is what relates the data together? It looks like if forms the Foreign Key relationships you need between the tables.

• There is no need to remove the policy #

It

• i'm trying to reach the first normal form as described http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=30646

i'm trying to figure out how to remove policy number becasue there are multiple questions and answers for each policy. so the table would look like

policy_number, qtext, qans

11111, question1, answer1

11111, question2, answer2

11111, question3, answer3

22222, question1, answer4

22222, question2, answer5

22222, question3, answer6

in this db, there's the same questions asked for each policy. This causes the database to store duplicate information in the table.

anyone have a table stucture i can study that solves a similar problem?

• The basics are Entities, Attributes and Relationships. Can you define all the Entities? Without knowing all the details I can see Policy, Question and Answer. Are there other entities? What attributes do those entities have and how do they relate? If you can define those, then you'll be well on your way to normalizing the schema, but that might take you beyond 1NF.

Also, it seems that you might be getting hung up a removing duplicate data. Yes, the policy number is duplicated, but if it is the way to uniquely identify a record, then it is not redundant data.

• foscsamuels (6/18/2009)

i'm trying to reach the first normal form as described http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=30646

i'm trying to figure out how to remove policy number becasue there are multiple questions and answers for each policy. so the table would look like

policy_number, qtext, qans

11111, question1, answer1

11111, question2, answer2

11111, question3, answer3

22222, question1, answer4

22222, question2, answer5

22222, question3, answer6

in this db, there's the same questions asked for each policy. This causes the database to store duplicate information in the table.

anyone have a table stucture i can study that solves a similar problem?

Okay, if you pulled policy_number from the table, how would you relate each question/answer back to a policy?

• How about a questions table (probably with a surrogate primary key

Then a policyQuestionDetails table with foreign keys to policy and questions -- probably best to store the answers here as well. If the answers are actually a choice between categories then you can link to a answers table but if they are free text then I think this is the best place to store them.

I've put a surrogate key in policyQuestionDetails but a combined key of questionId + policyId probably uniquely identifies a row.

Example

Tab (Policy)

===========================

[policyId] (PK)

[start_date]

[endDate]

[total]

Tab (Questions)

[questionId] (PK) -- Surrogate Probably

[questionText]

Tab (PolicyQuestionDetails)

[ID] (Pk) -- Surrogate

[policyID] (FK to policy.[policyId])

[questionID] (FK to questions.[quetionID])

[questionAnswer] ?????

[timestamp]

Charlie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply