Help with Mirroring 2 databases (no witness)

• I'm trying to mirror a database to a secondary instance which is on the same domain.

I have alredy restored the database (In recovery...) on site B.

When I create the mirroring through the wizard I receive an error when I want to start the mirroring.

I then try to set the partner manually:

ALTER DATABASE MyDB

SET PARTNER = 'TCP://<hostname>:5023'

-- I replace <hostname> with the real hostname

The error I receive is:

Msg 1418, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The server network address "TCP://........:5023" can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational.

Has anybody come across this error?

• do you have windows firewall enabled on the secondary server?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• No, firewall is disabled on mirror site.

• Can you telnet from the primary server to the secondary on the port specified?

• oskargunn (9/25/2014)

No, firewall is disabled on mirror site.

ok what about a secondary firewall, as previously suggested attempt a telnet to the port from the principal server

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I've also tried to telnet from primary site to mirror site, and that works. That's why I'm completely baffled about this error :/

• oskargunn (9/25/2014)

I've also tried to telnet from primary site to mirror site, and that works.

on what ports?

It will also help if you can confirm whether or not there are any firewall devices between the 2 endpoints

• PRIMARY: 5100

MIRROR: 5101

tried to telnet from both sites and telnet works. (so, on primary i can telnet to mirror site through port 5101)

• ok, the endpoint is using port 5023!!!!

• http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646023.aspx

According to this article there is no default port for database mirroring. Mirroring has worked before, and then I've been using 5022 and 5023.

I just tried 5100 and 5101 to see if the port was the problem.

I dropped the endpoints and recreated them both again with port 5023, but I still get the same error.

• Can you telnet to the server on port 5023?

• Yes when I am positioned on the server and telnet to mirror site on port 5023, that works.

And I can also telnet from mirror site to the primary site on port 5023.

• OK, next thing to check is that the account used for mirroring has permissions to connect to the endpoints.

• Is there a good way to see if the user doesn't have these rights?

Because I did issue a grant permission on the endpoint to this particular domain user that I am using.

• No there isnt a default port but the endpoint is set to 5023 so why are you telnetting to a different port?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply