Help with joining views

•  

My problem is as follows:

I have four views which are all simple select * from table statements against tables from another database.

The result of this is used to populate a datamart with an insert into. I.E. The datamart is emptied before each run.

Insert into target

(select viewa.column, viewb.column, viewc.column, viewd.column

from viewa inner join on a=b, b= c, c = d  ..all the views linked together.

I have indexes in the joins but they are only scanned in the execution plan.

I want to know is:

1. Is it worth even trying to use indexes if I am selecting so many rows and there is no where clause in existence.

2. If I do use views, should I be looking to use indexed views. Would it help in this scenario.

As a side issue, I always though that if you joined views indexes are never used. However, as I stated earlier, the indexes are being scanned when looking at the execution plan.

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

• #1  Indexes are always good.  I have ran execution of some queries that took 10 minutes and when I changed WHERE and forced it to use the proper index took 10 seconds.

#2  IF the query is already using the indexes I don't think would help.  Plus if the underlying table schema ever changes you will need to rebuild these views..

#3  I think it really depends on how the views are built and if they are designed in such a way to use the indexes (proper order, etc..)

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• If you are selecting all or most of the data from the table, the indexes don't help because a scan will occur. Chcejing fragmentation often can speed this up.

I agree with AJ though. Indexes are always good. You might start using these tables in other ways.

• Thanks for the replies. More or less what I thought.

As the tables are only used as in a staging area, I won't bother adding any indexes in from now on as they take 45 minutes.

I am not going to gain 45 minutes in execution with index scans instead of table scans.

My remit was to reduce load time, so hey, I chopped off a fair bit with the minimal amount of actual work.

------------------------------
    The Users are always right - when I'm not wrong!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply