Help with configuring SQL 2005 Reporting Services

• I recently installed SQL 2005 Beta 2 on our development box.  I also installed Reporting Services.  When I try to go to the Report Manager I get the following error:  The report server installation is not initialized. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerNotActivated) Get Online Help

0x80090005

I haven't been able to find any good resources on how to resolve this issue.  Has anyone run across this problem and have a resolution they would like to share?

It is installed on a windows 2003 server with SP 1 installed.

Thanks,

John

• I have a feeling this has to do with the keys (for securely storing/encryping values in the RS DB).  If you look up in the BOL for rs.exe there should be something there about initialization.

Steve.

• I had this problem when I installed both Report Server and Sharepoint Services on the same server.

I believe that Steve's reponse is correct.  Look up "RSACTIVATE" for how to manually complete the key encryption process.

Rick Phillips

• Thanks for the suggestions.  I ended up uninstalling Beta 2 and installed the April CTP.  I now have it up and running.  BUT now I am running into another error when trying to add a new datasource.  I get the following error: 

SQL Server Reporting Services

Error

The version of the report server database is either in a format that is not valid, or it cannot be read. The found version is 'Unknown'.

The expected version is 'C.0.8.20'. To continue, update the version of the report server database and verify access rights. 

I created the ReportServer database using the Reporting Services Configuration tool so I don't understand how it isn't the correct version. Has anyone run into this issue?

Has anyone come across a good step by step document of installing & configuring reporting services 2005?

Thanks!

John

• Someone else on this furm had exactly the same issue (in the last 2 weeks or there abouts).  I think it came down to a problem with the window user accounts.  Do a search on the RS admin or plain RS forums using part of your error string. 

Just a question, why not load up the June CTP??

Steve.

• I will do some searching around.  We don't have the June CTP to load.  We just got the April CTP with our Tech Net subscription.

Thanks!

John

• I got mine through the beta site but I thought a friend of mine (technet subscriber) said that the downloads site for technet had them in there also??

for reference, the thread i was talking about was http://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=162&messageid=184170 but on looking at it again they encountered this issue when going to SP2 of RS2K.

Steve.

• I ended up downloading the June CTP after they made it available to the public.  I installed it and now RS is running correctly.

John

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply