Help with calculating Percentages

• Hello,  I'm currently at a loss trying to calculate percentages based on two fields within my script.

SELECT[AT].[Site_Name] [Site Name]
    ,@Month01 [Month]
    ,ISNULL (COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code]), 0) [Total Picks]
    ,ISNULL (SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Pick', 'pick during maintenance') THEN 1 END), 0) [Succesful Picks]
    ,ISNULL (SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Mispick', 'On-charge mispick', 'Mispick during maintenance', 'On-charge mispick during maintenance')
    THEN 1 END), 0) [Mispicks]
    ,ISNULL (SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Zero Available Pick') THEN 1 END), 0) [Zero Availability Picks]
    ,'' [Percentage - Succesful Picks]
    ,'' [Percentage - Mispicks]
    ,'' [Percentage - Zero Availability Picks]

I can't get to a formula to work for dividing the [Succesful Picks] against the [Total Picks] columns.  I assume once that is resolved, replicating for the other two fields would be a case of copy, paste and amend to fit.

If anyone can either point me in the right direction or give me a solution I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks, Richard...

• Logic should be something like this

((Successful Pick / Total Picks) * 100)

((Mispick / Total Picks) * 100)

((Zero Pick / Total Picks) * 100)

Does this work for you?

,@Month01 [Month]
    ,ISNULL (COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code]), 0) [Total Picks]
    ,ISNULL (SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Pick', 'pick during maintenance') THEN 1 END), 0) [Succesful Picks]
    ,ISNULL (SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Mispick', 'On-charge mispick', 'Mispick during maintenance', 'On-charge mispick during maintenance')
    THEN 1 END), 0) [Mispicks]
    ,ISNULL (SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Zero Available Pick') THEN 1 END), 0) [Zero Availability Picks]
    ,((ISNULL (SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Pick', 'pick during maintenance') THEN 1 END), 0) / ISNULL (COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code]), 0)) * 100) [Percentage - Succesful Picks]
    ,((ISNULL (SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Mispick', 'On-charge mispick', 'Mispick during maintenance', 'On-charge mispick during maintenance')
    THEN 1 END), 0) / ISNULL (COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code]), 0) ) * 100) [Percentage - Mispicks]
    ,((ISNULL (SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Zero Available Pick') THEN 1 END), 0) / ISNULL (COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code]), 0)) * 100) [Percentage - Zero Availability Picks]
  • Thanks Ant-Green, just gave that a try and each of them comes up with a 0 value.  Here is some example data for a row where I've given the values I have but amended the name for the site.

Site Name = Test

@Month01 = 2023-02

Total Picks = 3733

Successful Picks = 3156

Mispicks = 576

Zero Availability Picks = 1

So the [Event_Code] are text values hence the need to use a count for the [Total Picks] and then the CASE is then to pick out the event types that have happened.  I've tried replacing the SUM to all COUNT gives me the same results and still as 0's in the percentage fields.

Thanks, Richard...

• Instead of dividing by 100 try dividing by 100.0.  With division the implicit type conversion is to INT unless the denominator is non-INT, either NUMERIC or FLOAT.  Also, imo the ISNULL's aren't necessary as your CASE expressions should include ELSE 0's.  COUNT never returns NULL.  SUM ignores NULLS when used with GROUP BY.  Also moving the CASE expressions to a CROSS APPLY might d.r.y. the code out a little

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• You're doing integer division, which is why you're getting 0's.  Instead of specifying 1 (integer), specify 1.0 (decimal).

Also, you don't need the ISNULL() if you specify the CASE expression correctly.

,SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Pick', 'pick during maintenance') THEN 1.0 ELSE 0 END) [Succesful Picks]

Drew

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  drew.allen.

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• It may be an integer-division issue.

Try multiplying by 100.0 first, to force a decimal calculation:

Successful Picks * 100.0 / Total Picks

Note also that you have misspelled 'successful'.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Thanks all.

Yeah I noticed the misspelling after I had posted the example above, all corrected now 🙂

,@Month01 [Month]
    ,COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code]) [Total Picks]
    ,COUNT (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Pick', 'pick during maintenance') THEN 1 END) [Succesful Picks]
    ,COUNT (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Mispick', 'On-charge mispick', 'Mispick during maintenance', 'On-charge mispick during maintenance') THEN 1 END) [Mispicks]
    ,COUNT (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Zero Available Pick') THEN 1 END) [Zero Availability Picks]
    ,SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Pick', 'pick during maintenance') THEN 1.0 END) / COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code])* 100.0 [Percentage - Succesful Picks]
    ,SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Mispick', 'On-charge mispick', 'Mispick during maintenance', 'On-charge mispick during maintenance') THEN 1.0 END) / COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code]) * 100.0 [Percentage - Mispicks]
    ,SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Zero Available Pick') THEN 1.0 END) / COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code]) * 100.0 [Percentage - Zero Availability Picks]

That's it above and happy to say it now works 🙂  Thank you so much, I'm all self-taught on SQL so there are times when I struggle but am ever so grateful for forums such as this.

Thanks, Richard...

• Steve Collins wrote:

Instead of dividing by 100 try dividing by 100.0.  With division the implicit type conversion is to INT unless the denominator is non-INT, either NUMERIC or FLOAT.  Also, imo the ISNULL's aren't necessary as your CASE expressions should include ELSE 0's.  COUNT never returns NULL.  SUM ignores NULLS when used with GROUP BY.  Also moving the CASE expressions to a CROSS APPLY might d.r.y. the code out a little

That's not correct.  It's doing integer division, because BOTH the numerator and denominator are integer expressions.  It will do decimal division if EITHER (not just the denominator) is non-INT.  There will NEVER be an implicit conversion to a data type with a lower precedence within an expression, only when assigning or setting the value of a variable or field with a lower precedence.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• It turns out, upon further review, a non-INT as either the numerator OR the denominator will switch the implicit conversion to NUMERIC.

select sql_variant_property(1/4, 'basetype') int_int,
    sql_variant_property(1.0/4, 'basetype') num_int,
    sql_variant_property(1/4.0, 'basetype') int_num;

Aus dem Paradies, das Cantor uns geschaffen, soll uns niemand vertreiben können

• I'm having to add back in the ISNULL on the percentage calculations so that NULL fields are not displayed.  SO example of an updated string is this.

ISNULL (FORMAT ((SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Zero Available Pick') THEN 1.0 END) /COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code]) * 1.0), 'P2'), '0.00%') [Percentage - Zero Availability Picks]

Is there a 'cleaner' way of doing this?  Thanks, Richard...

• PS_Richard wrote:

I'm having to add back in the ISNULL on the percentage calculations so that NULL fields are not displayed.  SO example of an updated string is this.

ISNULL (FORMAT ((SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Zero Available Pick') THEN 1.0 END) /COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code]) * 1.0), 'P2'), '0.00%') [Percentage - Zero Availability Picks]

YES.

FORMAT ((SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Zero Available Pick') THEN 1.0 ELSE 0.0 END) /COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code]) * 1.0), 'P2'), '0.00%') [Percentage - Zero Availability Picks]

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Michael L John wrote:

PS_Richard wrote:

I'm having to add back in the ISNULL on the percentage calculations so that NULL fields are not displayed.  SO example of an updated string is this.

YES.

FORMAT ((SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Zero Available Pick') THEN 1.0 ELSE 0.0 END) /COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code]) * 1.0), 'P2'), '0.00%') [Percentage - Zero Availability Picks]

Had to amend slightly to this.

FORMAT ((SUM (CASE WHEN [AT].[Event_Code] IN ('Zero Available Pick') THEN 1.0 ELSE 0.0 END) /COUNT ([AT].[Event_Code]) * 1.0), 'P2') [Percentage - Zero Availability Picks]

As didn't need to force the 0.00% in.  Thanks though for showing me a different way to tackle this.

Thanks, Richard...

• The FORMAT() function performs notoriously poorly. If you are processing a lot of data, I suggest you remove it and find another way (either in code, or using Excel or whatever other tool you are presenting the data with).

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply