Help with a SET based solution to multiple bets

• I am trying to come up with a set based solution to the following problem.

I have a horse racing BOT that automatically selects and places bets on Betfair.

The horse selection side of things is all worked out apart from one problem I need to try and resolve which is to evenly spread the types of bet across my "multiples" selections.

Single bets are fine but my aim is to use the ticking over of singles to fund multiples (as that is where the money is)

At the moment my system ranks, orders and sets up the bets fine but I need to find a way of evenly spreading out my selections across a number of bets (if possible) without going down the CROSS JOIN route that would just give me thousands of bets I cannot fund.

So using the following parameters an example would be:

Parameters:

Max No of bets to return e.g the number of total bets I am allowed to place e.g 5

Min No of selections per bet e.g 2 (a double)

Max No of selections per bet e.g 4 (an accumulator)

My system would then take the 5 horses it thinks has the most chance of succeeding (or any sub-selection I want to use) e.g

Horse NameRankingRaceTime

Majestic Dream15514:00

Night Lily15014:30

Quazy de Joie15015:00

Teenage Kicks14515:30

Piment D'Estruval13016:00

and return me a "mixture" of bets that combine my horses together in various selections without lumping the same horse(s) in each bet and mixing the selections up as much as possible.

Bet 1 - 4 way accumulator of the top 4 ranked

Bet 2 - A double

Bet 3 A double

Bet 4 A double

Bet 5 A Triple

Obviously the ordering is important in that the same 3 horses can only ever appear in one order - the order that they race in. So any randomising needs to account for that.

I might run this procedure a number of times with a different selection of horses but my main aim is to prevent the same horse (e.g Majestic Dream with the top ranking) from appearing in all the bets and to get a mixture of Doubles (2 selections), Triples, Quads and so on with as much even spread of the selections as is possible with the parameter for max no of bets to return.

This can be broken down into steps if it makes things easier.

I have a solution but it's long winded, not set based and is prone to lumping up the best ranked horses together whereas I really need an even spread.

I am thinking about some kind of select TOP X from cross join with a randomiser (order by newid) and then a cleanup at the end to remove dupes e.g the same horses in different time orders.

Any help would be much appreciated.

• You know, the people that help out here are all un-paid volunteers, so please HELP US HELP YOU. Providing the DDL scripts (CREATE TABLE, CREATE INDEX, etc.) for the tables affected, and INSERT statements to put some test data into those tables that shows your problem will go a long way in getting people to look at your issue and help you out. Please include code for what you have already tried. Don't forget to include what your expected results should be, based on the sample data provided. As a bonus to you, you will get tested code back. For more details on how to get all of this into your post, please look at the first link in my signature.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Here's a skeleton that should get you started. You should be able to see how the rules work in it and customize them as you see fit.

/*

Horse Name Ranking RaceTime

Majestic Dream 155 14:00

Night Lily 150 14:30

Quazy de Joie 150 15:00

Teenage Kicks 145 15:30

Piment D'Estruval 130 16:00

*/

IF OBJECT_ID(N'tempdb..#Horses_Races') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #Horses_Races ;

CREATE TABLE #Horses_Races

(ID INT IDENTITY

PRIMARY KEY,

[Name] VARCHAR(25),

Ranking INT,

RaceTime TIME) ;

INSERT INTO #Horses_Races

(Name, Ranking, RaceTime)

VALUES ('Majestic Dream', 155, '14:00'),

('Night Lilly', 150, '14:30'),

('Quazy de Joie', 150, '15:00'),

('Teenage Kicks', 145, '15:30'),

('Piment D''Estruval', 130, '16:00'),

('Additional', 125, '16:30') ;

SELECT HR0.*,

CASE WHEN ID IN (SELECT TOP 4

ID

FROM #Horses_Races AS Rankings

ORDER BY Ranking DESC) THEN CAST(1 AS BIT)

ELSE CAST(0 AS BIT)

END AS Top4,

CASE WHEN ID IN (Double1ID1, Double1ID2) THEN CAST(1 AS BIT)

ELSE CAST(0 AS BIT)

END AS Double1,

CASE WHEN ID IN (Double2ID1, Double2ID2) THEN CAST(1 AS BIT)

ELSE CAST(0 AS BIT)

END AS Double2

FROM #Horses_Races AS HR0

CROSS APPLY (SELECT TOP 1

HR1.ID AS Double1ID1,

HR2.ID AS Double1ID2

FROM #Horses_Races AS HR1

CROSS JOIN #Horses_Races AS HR2

WHERE HR1.RaceTime <= HR2.RaceTime

AND HR1.ID != HR2.ID

ORDER BY NEWID()) AS Double1

CROSS APPLY (SELECT TOP 1

HR1.ID AS Double2ID1,

HR2.ID AS Double2ID2

FROM #Horses_Races AS HR1

CROSS JOIN #Horses_Races AS HR2

WHERE HR1.RaceTime <= HR2.RaceTime

AND HR1.ID != HR2.ID

AND HR1.ID != Double1ID1

AND HR2.ID != Double1ID1

AND HR1.ID != Double1ID2

AND HR2.ID != Double1ID2

ORDER BY NEWID()) AS Double2 ;

P.S.: I routinely see horse racing as a homework assignment for database work. I don't usually help out with homework, but this one was an interesting enough problem to intrigue me. If it were a real database, I'd expect normalization, like a table of horses, a table of races, including locations (not just times), and a join table to indicate which horses were in which. Also, if actual money were involved, you'd need the rankings to be based on a more complex algorithm than just a fixed number in a table, because of factors like jockey weigh-in, how recently the horse has raced (most horses these days don't have the stamina to race more than a couple of times per year or whatever), and so on. Of course, if real money were involved, horse-racing would be out of the question. There are better ways to gamble.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks G!

I like it.

Don't worry there are lots of tables full of stats including jockey, trainer, course, draw bias and other form stats that are involved in calculating the ranking score.

Thanks for your help

• Glad I could help.

Let me know if any of the Cross Apply stuff doesn't make sense.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply