Help on small report

• Hi,

I have a requirement where I have to generate all objects in a database in the following format.

objectname filename filegroup sizeofobject typeofobject

Thanks in Advance

• You'll need sys.objects for the name and type, sys.partitions and sys.data_spaces for the filegroup (for tables only) and either sp_spaceused or sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats for the size (again, only for tables).

If there's only one file in a filegroup, you can get the filename from sys.database_files. If there are multiple files in a filegroup, I don't think there's a trivial way to see which an object is in, it will typically be in all

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • sys.data_spaces for the filegroup (for tables only) and either sp_spaceused or sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats for the size (again, only for tables)

Thanks for the info. But how do i find for indexes both clustered and non clustered indexes ( filegroup and index size)

• newbie2sql (8/23/2009)

sys.data_spaces for the filegroup (for tables only) and either sp_spaceused or sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats for the size (again, only for tables)

Thanks for the info. But how do i find for indexes both clustered and non clustered indexes ( filegroup and index size)

sys.partitions and sys.data_spaces for the filegroup and sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats for the size.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • This script should get you started by telling you the object name, type, and which filegroup its a part of. The rest of the joins can be made accordingly with the different dmv's mentioned by Gail.

SELECTo.[name] [object name],

o.[type] [object type],

i.[name] [index name],

i.[index_id] [index id],

f.[name] [filegroup name]

FROM

sys.indexes i

INNER JOIN

sys.filegroups f

ON

i.data_space_id = f.data_space_id

INNER JOIN

sys.all_objects o

ON

i.[object_id] = o.[object_id]

--WHERE i.data_space_id = 2 --* New FileGroup*

where [o].[type] = 'U'

--and [o].[name] = 'OpRep_DMZ_Testing'

ORDER BY [filegroup name]

select * from sys.database_files --dataspace id = filegroup id

select * from sys.filegroups

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply