Help on script using cursor

• I have 3 tables

People - id, name, mail_id

People_assingment - id, org_code

People_request - Key_id, org_code, mail_id

I need to write a script that will sync all the three tables right.

Example:

People

--------

id, Name, email

1, John, John@state.com

People_assignment

------------------

id, org_code

1, 5000

1, 6000

1, 8000

People_request

---------------

key_id, org_code, email

19 , 2000 John@state.vom

20, 5000, John@state.com

21, 6000, John@state.com

I need to join the tables and compare People_assignment and People_request table.

Delete unwanted records that is there in people_request table that are not matched in people_assignment.

Insert into people_request any missing records that are present in people_assignment.

In the above example,

Delete the unwanted record '2000' for john that is not there in people_assignment table

Insert into people_request a record for org_code '8000' for John. It has only 2. It must be nmatched with the people_assignment table.

• insert into people_request(org_code, email)

select pa.org_code, p.email

from people p

inner join people_assignment pa

on p.id= pa.id

left outer join people_request pr

on p.email = pr.email

and pa.org_code = pr.org_code

where pr.key_id is null

That should give you your insert. Try it, see if it does what you need.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks, i will try that.

Also can i implement this snippet inside a cursor? coz a person will have multiple entries in Assignment table and all the records need to be updated/inserted iin people_request also.

So that it will fetch one record from assignment, check if it present in request.

If not present, it will insert.

• If you run that code as-is, you shouldn't need the cursor.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Basically - cursors are evil.

Never, ever, use one unless it's absolutely 100% unavoidable. It is in the vast majority of cases, one way or another.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply