Help on a simply Query

• Hi Guys,

I have a table with 25M+ records, i tried doing query like as simple as this:

SELECT COUNT(id)

FROM MyTable

WHERE clientId = @clientId

If the @clientId supplied exists in MyTable table, the query will return the row count quickly like less than 2 seconds at least BUT if it doesn't it just keeps on reader until like 15minutes+ and have to stop it.

I just want to check if the client id exist on MyTable or not.

Any thought?

• If you only need to know if a client id exists use EXISTS instead of COUNT(). See Gail's related blog[/url].

Side note: Is there any index on clientId to support the query?

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• LutzM (8/18/2010)

If you only need to know if a client id exists use EXISTS instead of COUNT(). See Gail's related blog[/url].

Side note: Is there any index on clientId to support the query?

Thank you for the response LutzM.

I tried EXISTS but it was the same. ClientId is a reference to Client table of some sort from MyTable.

• I think you might want to respond to Lutz's side note? Is the ClientId Column Indexed appropriately?

• I don't think the ClientId column is indexed, the only indexed column that I see is the ID of MyTable and this is already an existing design when I came in.

• If the ClientId column isn't indexed you will end up with a table scan causing bad performance. If you're allowed to, add the ClientId (nonclustered) index and see if it helps.

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply