Help me with Dynamic SQL Syntax, I am getting an error message ..???

• It gives me an error message as follows: I am trying to backup a table using the SELECT * INTO ....

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
    Incorrect syntax near '@BkTblName'.
    DECLARE @BkTblName  varchar(100);
    DECLARE @SQLString nvarchar(500);
    DECLARE @ParmDefinition nvarchar(500);

SELECT @BkTblName = 'HRAHistory_20190521_XX';
    SELECT @ParmDefinition = N' @BkTblName VARCHAR(100) ';
    SELECT @SQLString = N'Select * INTO @BkTblName FROM GHP_HRA.HRAHistory_20190521 ';
    EXECUTE sp_executesql @SQLString, @ParmDefinition, @BkTblName=@BkTblName ;
  • I don't think it works like this. Parameter is what you put on the WHERE clause. If  you want change table name, concatenate:

SELECT @SQLString = N'Select * INTO ' + @BkTblName + ' FROM  GHP_HRA.HRAHistory_20190521  ';

--Vadim R.

• Cool, It worked! Thanks

• rVadim wrote:

I don't think it works like this. Parameter is what you put on the WHERE clause. If  you want change table name, concatenate:

SELECT @SQLString = N'Select * INTO ' + @BkTblName + ' FROM  GHP_HRA.HRAHistory_20190521  ';

I don't recommend that on it's own, it'll suffer from injection. Quote your objects when using Dynamic SQL:

SET @SQLString = N'SELECT * INTO ' + QUOTENAME(@BkTblName) + N' FROM  GHP_HRA.HRAHistory_20190521;';

Ideally, as well, you should be declaring your schema name in the statement as well (which as it isn't specified, I assume is dbo).

You could even go further and check the validity of the table, which I explain how to do here: Dos and Don'ts of Dynamic SQL.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply