Help me help IT...upgrading Visual Studio to 2008 R2 tools

• When I submitted a ticket for IT to upgrade my desktop tools to include the SSRS 2008 R2 stuff (maps, sparklines, databars), they keep wanting to upgrade the server, or failing that, tell me that I already have VS2008 on my desktop (which I do, but I don't have the tools I need for R2).

What is the version number that I can refer them to that needs loaded? Right now, the best I can do is a picture of the tools I want to see in the toolbox, and hope they find the right one.

Currently on VS 2008 (Version 9.0.30729.1), .NET Version 3.5 SP1, Reporting Services Version 10.0.1600.22

Thanks,

Jon

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Here's what I have for R2, though it's just the 180-day eval: 10.50.1600.1.

• I don't know for sure because I haven't downloaded R2 yet (note to self, get with it at least for the tools). You need to install the client tools for SQL Server. Don't know the version number, but Doug's looks right for R2 tools.

Sounds like a long process of explaining to the IT department that R2 isn't a service pack release and that the BIDS tools for R2 are different than the ones for SSRS 2008 so you need to install the upgraded tools.

• Version List HERE gives all version #s, including R2.

Definitely tell them you need the client tools installed to your local box. If you need to develop, ask them for the Developer edition or ask them to install the edition to your local box also.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply