HELP!! Installation questions

• I was doing some reading and read that a feature in SQL Server 2000 is that you can mount hard drives to folders so that the files would be grouped together under let's say the D drive but you can create a folder called Data and Log and then mount the hard drives to this.

Since these folders are already created can't you actually just mount seperate hard drives directly to those folders?

Also shouldn't my backups be on a seperate drive as well?

And if so that I can just do by changing folder destination right?

• It would be inconsistent for the time being, but going forward would be a good practice. We just got to break the bad habbit. I keep my log in a different drive then my data, I also make sure the backup drive is twice the size of the data drive. This way I can have a minimume 2 backup for each database.

There should be no problem on where you store your data or your log as long as long as you have disk space to accomodate your need and growth. Eventually you will be upgrading your sql server hardware or upgrading sql server itself and you will get a new hardware sometimes to replace your old server.

If this is a fairly new server, I would suggest that you set default database setting to point to your desire drive and folder you need. As far as old database you could work with your user to move them from their undesire location and move them to the new location one at a time or better yet if your company does have downtime in which you could take database down, take it and work on it.

mom

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply