Help Importing COM Components into Report Project

• I have a custom COM Component which is essentially a graphing mechanism that I need to use in conjunction with reporting services.  When I create a Report Project and go to 'Add/Remove Item' it lets me add the class but greys it out and I can't drag it into the layout.

Do I have to do anything to get this component active or is it not possible to import custom components?

Help out a newbie to reporting services...

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I'm happy to be wrong, but to the best of my knowledge you can't import custom components into RS.  You can write them for delivery extensions (ie , you don't like PDF but want *.myput [ie your own output type], you can write an extension to produce this) and data processing extensions (ie you want to get data in from a custom business component).  I don't believe you'd be able to add your component as the RS service wouldn't know what to do when trying to render it (ie it's type would be unknown within the RS engine).

What you could try (I did a quick test with success) is to use an image placeholder, set the source to be External and then set the source (ie the 'Value' property) to be the URL to your custom chart.  If you do this as an expression, you could potentially use this method to pass values on the url to the charting component that would allow for dynamic charts.

HTH,

Steve.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply