Help from Cortana

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Friday, September 22, 2017 9:29 AM

Eric M Russell - Friday, September 22, 2017 7:16 AM

Our organization has an internal Slackbot channel that allows users to query the status of processes or status of a server. For example:

dba, what jobs are running on [server1] ?

That's interesting.

That's what our DBA team is using it for. My understanding is that other teams like Business Intelligence and Operations are going to create their own channels. Essentially it's using Slack as an english query tool, empowering users to get the answer for a specific frequently asked question when they need it (immediately) and where they need it (browser, Slack mobile app, Slack web service call, etc.).

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I use Siri sometimes in the car, but it's only helpful only when I can get a specific answer to a question like: "Siri, where is the nearest gas station?", or a small curated list of options. Simply returning me web search results is not that helpful. Perhaps verbal feedback like "Thank you", "That's not what I need", "Please be more specific" can be used to train the AI to suit each users needs and preferences.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Part of the issue with many of these devices right now is they don't remember context well and move from action to action, refining or better serving people. I think that will get better over time, but it's certainly a difficult problem.

• For years I have thought that my workstation was just as dumb as a brick because I couldn't tell it to do simple things like "Launch Word" and "Compile". I don't mean with a lot of setup, but that it would just work. We are still not quite there yet, but we are getting a lot closer. I am very happy about the improving capabilities of the digital assistants.

• I think the irony of it all is funny as hell.  We can't get folks to make decent GUIs and yet we're going to trust a bot and voice recognition?  We can't get people to protect our PII (not even the giants that maintain a central source of it) and we're worried about the government listening to our calls but we're going to allow an open mic in our homes and vehicles?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Friday, September 22, 2017 8:34 PM

I think the irony of it all is funny as hell.  We can't get folks to make decent GUIs and yet we're going to trust a bot and voice recognition?  We can't get people to protect our PII (not even the giants that maintain a central source of it) and we're worried about the government listening to our calls but we're going to allow an open mic in our homes and vehicles?

It's not all or nothing. It's not that a small implementation isn't better than a massive one. We also don't have "people" that build all these things. We have different groups.

I think some of what Facebook has done with Messenger, is far, far ahead of so many dedicated video/chat companies. VSTS, Team City, Octopus, they've done amazing work in helping us build software. Text to speech for text messaging? way beyond what I saw from Dragon and MS years ago. Siri/Google have nailed this very well in many ways. No perfectly, but great.

PII not being protected? Some companies do a great job, some do a horrible job. That's separate from an assistant that might do niche, limited services.

An assistant like Cortana doesn't mean an open mic. You could define assistant in different ways, and there is work to improve the text interaction. I tend to prefer those, but some bots can make systems much more efficient.

Be careful of getting caught up in the idea that a voice assistant means open-ended work like the Star Trek computer that does everything. I'm not convinced we'll ever get there, but niche items, I see vastly improving capabilities to help us.

• I have an Amazon echo at home which is great. Easy to use for music, weather, etc,etc....

My wife is a carer for a woman who is paralysed from the kneck down. We are looking into using some of these devices to give her some control over her environment. Even if it is only being able to turn to a different radio station I am sure that she will appreciate it !! It is a shame that there are not large discounts for people in this situation........

• garry.lovesey - Thursday, September 28, 2017 2:49 AM

I have an Amazon echo at home which is great. Easy to use for music, weather, etc,etc....

My wife is a carer for a woman who is paralysed from the kneck down. We are looking into using some of these devices to give her some control over her environment. Even if it is only being able to turn to a different radio station I am sure that she will appreciate it !! It is a shame that there are not large discounts for people in this situation........

I wonder if there would be. You should have your wife reach out to Amazon/Google/etc. and ask.

• garry.lovesey - Thursday, September 28, 2017 2:49 AM

I have an Amazon echo at home which is great. Easy to use for music, weather, etc,etc....

This seems like a very good application.  The benefits to the individual already probably outweigh any deficiencies in the technology, or doubts about "security". Don't know about the discounts. 🙁

Tom Gillies LinkedIn Profilewww.DuhallowGreyGeek.com[/url]

• Jeff Moden - Friday, September 22, 2017 8:34 PM

I think the irony of it all is funny as hell.  We can't get folks to make decent GUIs and yet we're going to trust a bot and voice recognition?  We can't get people to protect our PII (not even the giants that maintain a central source of it) and we're worried about the government listening to our calls but we're going to allow an open mic in our homes and vehicles?

Creepy, but still kinda funny. :ermm:

http://www.theonion.com/article/without-them-you-could-buy-anything-whispers-amazo-57061

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:45 AM

garry.lovesey - Thursday, September 28, 2017 2:49 AM

I wonder if there would be. You should have your wife reach out to Amazon/Google/etc. and ask.

I did have a 40 minute online chat with one of the representatives and they offerred me a £5 discount voucher towards one.......
    Unfortunately I can't seem to get an e-mail address for anyone higher up.
    :crying:

• hjp - Friday, September 22, 2017 4:10 AM

I don't need a process flow optimization algorithm to turn me into a human robot, just following orders from a machine all workday long.

That is an interesting point. I'm sure the use of this sort of technology will only increase. I'm not so sure the human race will be better off because of it. Will it lead to more situations when people end up in a lake or in a sand heap on a construction site because they followed GPS?
    Personally, I never use any personal assistant because I find it funny to look at people talking to a device of any kind.
    There are situations when voice recognition is useful of course. garry.lovesey mentioned one. Voice to text is also nice, though I can't use it properly due to my thick Russian accent. On the other hand it is only useful if you can't use your hands, like driving a car for example (and with the development of self-driving cars this will be required less and less). And I'm sorry funbi, using your phone to set a timer while cooking is old style. Every decent oven has a very handy buttons to set the timer, even if your hands are dirty. So, may be you should think about upgrading your kitchen if you don't have one 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply