help for Client install detection

• I have several machines where Visual Studio 2005 has been installed. On these machines, I need to be able programatiaally to detect if there is a SQL server installation.

I have entries in the registry, but then I do not have tools like sqlcmd or Osql executables under Program Files\mssql server\90 or BINN directory at all.

Is this a valid client 20005 installtion?

The tech who did the Visual studio 2005 installs told me he took all defaults in the install process.

Any idea is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot, mj

• Do you need to detect a server or a client?

for the server, look in the Services if there is SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service. In the Registry it will be as I copied here. If your tech installed Express Edition, you would not be getting much tools, but you would have sqlcmd and osql. They will be in a folder <your drive letter>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn

Key Name:          HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQLSERVER

Value 3

Name:            ImagePath

Type:            REG_EXPAND_SZ

Data:            "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe" -sMSSQLSERVER

Value 4

Name:            DisplayName

Type:            REG_SZ

Data:            SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• I need to detect SQL clients.

On all of the installtions I see there's no Binn directory at all. But in the registry I have Microsoft SQL Native Client and there's a 'CurrentVersion' subkey underneath which has a 'Version' value of 9.00.1399.06

I do not have sqlcmd or osql. The tech said this is coming from the Visual Studio default install.

Thanks a lot, mj

• SQLClient is part of the extended .NET Framework, installs as a prerequisite when SQL Server setup is ran or you can install it independently. Does not mean, you have SQL Server Client Tools.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sqlclient.aspx

Programs will be able to use SQLClient (Native Client)

You can download SQLCMD from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=d09c1d60-a13c-4479-9b91-9e8b9d835cdc&DisplayLang=en

Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - November 2005

Regards,Yelena Varsha

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply