Help : 170 Sql Express servers needing backups

• I have scripts to backup the databases across 170 SQL Server 2005 Express servers. I can control the amount of days and directory layout.

I am having a problem with scheduling. I don't want to have to create 6 or more schedules using MS Scheduler via gui. Looking for a way to script the scheduler piece OR a free scheduler that can be scripted OR ?????

I have 170 now, but will have 300-500 in the next couple years. Has any one been through this? What did you do?

I am the only DBA. Looking for ideas on Scheduling with Express and overall management ideas for large volume small DB. VM is not an option. These databases are spread out over multiple states and in individual buildings.

I am looking at RedGate to compress/encrypt the backups, and the GUI will allow easy management, but still, no scheduler. RedGate utilizes the SQL Agents.

Joseph

• Ok, there is schtasks that allows scripting of the backup schedules.

I can use SMS to send out in stall the software and scripts.

Still, if anyone has this type of enviroment, I would like to know what you do to manage jobs/backups, ect. I am hoping to get another person hired, but we are still going to be swamped.

Joseph

• I have no experience in using it, but I know there are a few projects out on codeplex and codeproject that are basically stand alone SQL Agents... They may be worth checking into...

Here's one of them... http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/SQLAgent.aspx

-Luke.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply