help

• I installed SQL Enterprise Edition more than two weeks ago on a Windows 2000 Server SP4 with the latest MDAC. This SQL server with a default instance and Windows only authentication is the only SQL server in our network. On another Windows 2000 Server SP4 computer, Routing and Remote Access Server is enabled and is used to share our DSL internet connection to several workstations. We have created and installed databases to this SQL server and everything seems to be fine. SQL clients can access the databases. Until our DSL internet connection bogged down, no clients can connect to the SQL server whenever internet service is down. But whenever our internet service resumes or is available, clients have no problem connecting to the SQL server. It is my understanding that SQL server is not dependent on internet service and will function normally even without internet service. To summarize, the problem is: SQL clients are unable to connect to SQL server whenever internet service is down. Anybody, please help me on this.

• How are the clients connecting you SQL? Protocol and addressing?

SQL is not dependent on the Internet, but perhaps you have some name resolution or something that is.

• Clinton Brand posted this link for RRAS and NAT issues "NAT Clients Cannot View Web Sites After You Install SQL 2000 SP2 or SP3 on an RRAS Server":

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324288

HTH,

Andy

• Thanks Steve.

As per SQL Server Client Network Utility, TCP/IP and Named Pipes are enabled. TCP/IP’s default port is 1433 and Named Pipes’ default pipe is sql\query. Shared memory protocol is enabled.

On the Windows 2000 Server where SQL server is installed, in the Local Area Connection Properties, the network protocol used is only TCP/IP.

We have two Domain Name System service, the master DNS is located at the primary domain controller with IP address 192.168.0.1. The other DNS is located at the server where RRAS is enabled with IP address 192.168.0.10. Both DNS have enabled forwarders and do not use recursion. The forwarders’ IP addresses are 202.138.128.50 and 202.138.128.2

By the way, thanks for your concern too David.

• I would like to reiterate my need for help on this matter. Please help me.

• It sounds like the nameresolution on the clients does not work when the server loses intenet access. Check if the clients can find the server when the internet connction is down.

• I'm not a network expert, but it's my understanding that if you have DNS forwarding enabled, then the local DNS server skips the name resolution process and forwards the request to the specified server - in your case 202.138.128.50 or 202.138.128.2 (which appear to be dns-cache.digitalone.com in the Phillipines). If your Internet connection is down, these servers are not reachable. Therefore, you've lost your DNS name resolution capability when your DSL line is down.

• Thanks Jonas and mkeast.

Oh I forgot to mention that during moments of internet stoppage all other servers are working fine and can be accessed without hassle. Even the shared folders on the server where SQL server is installed can be accessed without any problem. Only the SQL server is having accessibility problem whenever internet is down (SQL clients can not connect to the SQL server).

And, the enabling of the forwarders is included as one of the steps/instructions in sharing internet connection in RRAS.

Thanks again guys. Hope to hear from you soon.

• IF you normally connect to the SQL Server using the server name, try to connect using the IP address instead.

• How are you addressing the server? If the server is ServerA at IP 10.10.10.10, do you specify IP, ServerA, or ServerA.MyCompany.Com at the client?

Can you connect by IP as specified above.

• Thank you for your suggestion mkeast and Steve. I tried connecting using the server’s IP address and it was successful. What I will try next is connecting to the SQL server using IP address during moments of internet stoppage.

Thank you guys, I will update you on this later.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply