Hello new world!

• Using an Andriod V7.0 nrd90m.061 wit Chrome as a browser, in answer to Robert, the fixed width on some columns also makes questions and replies unreadable, Jeff's signature alone takes three pages lol!!

• @jeff - your avatar definitely can work, but I agree it's not come over for some reason. Will take a look at that and your other points on Monday. A 4th birthday party to get to today!

@happygeek - a screenshot of what you're seeing would be really useful. Here's Chrome/Android/OnePlus 3T for me on Jeff's sig:

Cheers,

Rob

• To be honest, I think that anyone trying to do forum posts on an android is expecting a bit much. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• When HappyGeek posted about my signature line, my signature line was broken.  I edited it trying to fix the broken link and it removed almost all of the BBCodes.  It took a while to get it back into shape but looks fine now after repairing it.

Shifting gears to a different but related subject, I tried to find Gail Shaw's old article on how to post performance problems with no joy.  First, you have to go to "Contributors" instead of the previously very convenient and now conspicuously missing "Authors" link.  All sorts of stuff is combined in that link.  I searched for "Gail Shaw" and it came up with squat.  I searched for "GilaMonster" and found her.  Oddly enough, they were attributed to "Gail Shaw", which the search couldn't find.

Even more annoying is that people's BLOG entries are now included under the "Authors with more than 10 articles" section instead of just the "Articles", like it used to be.  And, of course, when you click on the author being sought, it takes you to a page which also does NOT distinguish between blogs and real live SSC articles.  Any way to fix that?

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Ugh!  Looks like I'm not the only one that going to suffer link breakages... have a look at Sean's signature line at the following post.

https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/are-the-posted-questions-getting-worse/page/4216/#post-2034220

Response times seem to be pretty bad, as well.

And, touching base back on a couple of other things... the animated GIF that I used for my Avatar didn't "come over",  my Brief Case doesn't seem to have everything in it that it used to, and there's no convenient "Tags" to click on in the Brief Case to quickly find related Brief Case items.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by  Jeff Moden.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Test post

• Test post, to check my signature line.

• Here's another test. I want to get this URL (https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/no-markdown#post-3160892) to rewrite.

• Jeff Moden wrote:

Just testing for Copy'n'Paste from SSMS to the forum..

/****** Object:  UserDefinedFunction [dbo].[fnTally]    Script Date: 03/30/2019 20:45:59 ******/
    SET ANSI_NULLS ON
    GO
    SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
    GO
    ALTER FUNCTION [dbo].[fnTally]
    /**********************************************************************************************************************
    Purpose:
    Return a column of BIGINTs from @ZeroOrOne up to and including @MaxN with a max value of 10 Quadrillion.

Usage:
    --===== Syntax example
    SELECT t.N
    FROM dbo.fnTally(@ZeroOrOne,@MaxN) t
    ;

Notes:
    1. This code works for SQL Server 2005 and up.
    2. Based on Itzik Ben-Gan's cascading CTE (cCTE) method for creating a "readless" Tally Table source of BIGINTs.
    Refer to the following URL for how it works. http://sqlmag.com/sql-server/virtual-auxiliary-table-numbers
    3. To start a sequence at 0, @ZeroOrOne must be 0 or NULL. Any other value that's convertable to the BIT data-type
    will cause the sequence to start at 1.
    4. If @ZeroOrOne = 1 and @MaxN = 0, no rows will be returned.
    5. If @MaxN is negative or NULL, a "TOP" error will be returned.
    6. @MaxN must be a positive number from >= the value of @ZeroOrOne up to and including 10 Quadrillion. If a larger
    number is used, the function will silently truncate after 10 Quadrillion. If you actually need a sequence with
    that many values, you should consider using a different tool. ;-)
    7. There will be a substantial reduction in performance if "N" is sorted in descending order. If a descending
    sort is required, use code similar to the following. Performance will decrease by about 27% but it's still
    very fast especially compared with just doing a simple descending sort on "N", which is about 20 times slower.
    If @ZeroOrOne is a 0, in this case, remove the "+1" from the code.

DECLARE @MaxN BIGINT;
    SELECT @MaxN = 1000;
    SELECT DescendingN = @MaxN-N+1
    FROM dbo.fnTally(1,@MaxN);

8. There is no performance penalty for sorting "N" in ascending order because the output is explicity sorted by
    ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY (SELECT NULL))

Revision History:
    Rev 00 - Unknown - Jeff Moden
    - Initial creation with error handling for @MaxN.
    Rev 01 - 09 Feb 2013 - Jeff Moden
    - Modified to start at 0 or 1.
    Rev 02 - 16 May 2013 - Jeff Moden
    - Removed error handling for @MaxN because of exceptional cases.
    Rev 03 - 07 Sep 2013 - Jeff Moden
    - Change the max for @MaxN from 10 Billion to 10 Quadrillion to support an experiment.
    This will also make it much more difficult for someone to actually get silent truncation in the future.
    **********************************************************************************************************************/
    (@ZeroOrOne BIT, @MaxN BIGINT)
    RETURNS TABLE WITH SCHEMABINDING AS
    RETURN WITH
    E1(N) AS (SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL
    SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1) --up to 10 rows
    , E4(N) AS (SELECT 1 FROM E1 a, E1 b, E1 c, E1 d) --up to 10 Thousand rows
    ,E16(N) AS (SELECT 1 FROM E4 a, E4 b, E4 c, E4 d) --up to 10 Quadrillion rows
    SELECT N = 0 WHERE ISNULL(@ZeroOrOne,0)= 0 --Conditionally start at 0.
    UNION ALL
    SELECT TOP(@MaxN) N = ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY (SELECT NULL)) FROM E16
    ;

Did this quote correctly?

• Another quote

Jeff Moden wrote:

Ugh!  Looks like I'm not the only one that going to suffer link breakages... have a look at Sean's signature line at the following post. https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/are-the-posted-questions-getting-worse/page/4216/#post-2034220   Response times seem to be pretty bad, as well.   And, touching base back on a couple of other things... the animated GIF that I used for my Avatar didn't "come over",  my Brief Case doesn't seem to have everything in it that it used to, and there's no convenient "Tags" to click on in the Brief Case to quickly find related Brief Case items.

Another quote

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Another quote

Jeff Moden wrote:

Ugh!  Looks like I'm not the only one that going to suffer link breakages... have a look at Sean's signature line at the following post. https://www.sqlservercentral.com/forums/topic/are-the-posted-questions-getting-worse/page/4216/#post-2034220   Response times seem to be pretty bad, as well.   And, touching base back on a couple of other things... the animated GIF that I used for my Avatar didn't "come over",  my Brief Case doesn't seem to have everything in it that it used to, and there's no convenient "Tags" to click on in the Brief Case to quickly find related Brief Case items.

Another quote

Quoting a quote

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Another quote

Jeff Moden wrote:

Another quote

Quoting a quote

Third level, but adding some code pasted from SSMS:

SELECT top 10
    FROM dbo.Document AS d
    GO
    ALTER TABLE dbo.Document ALTER COLUMN DocumentKey NVARCHAR(7) NOT NULL
    GO

This is something at the end of my code from SSMS

Another quote

Jeff Moden wrote:

Another quote

Quoting a quote

Third level, but adding some code pasted from SSMS:

SELECT top 10
    FROM dbo.Document AS d
    GO
    ALTER TABLE dbo.Document ALTER COLUMN DocumentKey NVARCHAR(7) NOT NULL
    GO

This is something at the end of my code from SSMS

And not quoting my quote with code. This line is in after the quoted part.

• Another Test

• And again

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply