Healthy Work Habits

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Healthy Work Habits

• Good morning.

I agree, one's health, physical and mental, is the most important there is to take care of. Without it you can not work or enjoy yourself with family and friends.

Trying to workout 4-5 times a week helps me a lot and I think everyone should at least do it 3 times a week. It's not like you don't have the time for it, everyone has the time for it.

Those who do not take care of themselves I somewhat harshly view as less intelligent. Failing to take care of that which matters most is indeed stupid. I personally suggest both running or some sport as well as heavier training with weights since not all muscles gets the training they need for running.

If you are sitting down in front of a desk all day, try and stand up infront of it as well if you have a desk that supports different heights. Make sure to sit correctly and not completely still. If you sit wrong you can get back issues.

• Harsh but fair IceDread, harsh but fair.

My personal regime is to insist that I must get (very) sweaty at least once a day in the working week (cycle commute, 5 a side football, squash or weights for me, often 2 of those per day time permitting). It does help me work well too - I may spend a few lunchtimes out but it's what you get done at work rather than time put in for me.

The weekend is for family. A strong concern for me is to never lose independence now or later in life - I should always be able to give my kids a bit of a go in the park.

• Interesting concept.

My lawyer who injured his back in sports when young uses a stand up computer desk (and also sits on a large pilate? ball instead of a chair).

BTW Buck Woody could have easily and more elegantly met his 100 target by getting a rollabout chef's prep table. I periodically commandeer that when working from home.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• I have been using a stand up desk for over 4 years now.... it is the best!! I do recommend having a good pair of shoes, and if you are on a hard floor, some sort of cushion mat.

• It became clear early in my 30 year career in IT that life had to be supplemented with physical activity. While IT is a physically non-demanding career, it is also destructive to ones health if no other outlet for physical activity exists. I endeavored early in my career that my penance for having such a sedentary career was that my personal life would not allowed to be sedentary. I've worked out 3 to 7 days a week for 25 years. I'm bike riding 1800 miles per year and walking 300, not to mention the visits to the gym in winter. It has made all the difference in the world. At 47, I'm in the best shape of my life and I've managed to avoid the plague of obesity and all the health issues that come with it. We've all seen them. It's all about balance and if you don't have it life only gets more difficult.

If you eat more calories than you burn, it doesn't take a genious to figure out where that path is leading. If you're young and starting a career in IT, start your good habits now. Your life will be expontentially better as time inevitably passes.

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." - Annie Dillard

• Coincidentally, while shaving and getting suited up this morning, I started thinking about the idea that we should not consider the time we put in at work as "time spent" but rather time that we "invest". Our time is valuable, we are free to invest it anywhere we choose, and we should expect a fair and solid return on our investments both financially and professionally. If the return on our investment is flat or somehow on a downward trend, then we should consider moving our investment somewhere else. Of course, we should periodically take a close look at how we're contributing as well.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• After a day of DBAing, once the wife and kids are in bed, I usually end up back in front of the monitor. After a few decades doing DP/MIS/IS/IT work and play, it takes its toll. A coworker had double "Spiderman" surgery (looked like they implanted webslingers). Didn't look like fun. At all. On advice from others, I got a book called "It's Not Carpal Tunnel Syndrome" by Damany and Bellis. A new chair, a 3M AKT150LE adjustable kb tray (one for work, one for home, with the one at home having right and left mouse platforms), new keyboards, a good chiropractor, and several prayer stretches, wrist flexions, and other exercises later, and I'm much better. No surgery required.

The one thing that eludes me is a good mouse. I've tried the expensive ergonomic vertical mouse from Evoluent, but was surprised how difficult the mouse buttons were to push. They make my fingers hurt after a week or two. I've gone the other route and tried gaming mice in the theory that gamers won't buy/recommend crappy ones that make their hands/wrists hurt, but the most popular Logitech one causes me pain to no end.

And no, I haven't tried the neural interface from OCZ. Yet...

Rich

• You really need to take good care of yourself physically. I had a part time hospital job while in college and I cannot begin to tell you the horrors that most people have to endure because they don't exercise: I saw it up close and personal as I had to interact with the poor, suffering patients.

I also agree that a sport combined with time in the gym is a good combination. Not spending more than an hour at a time at your desk is also a good idea: I always give myself an excuse to get up and walk around for at least a few minutes every hour or so.

I dread those 3 hour meetings that management calls and never gives us a break: I just walk out for a few minutes when necessary or suggest a break when it is obvious that most participants are suffering.

• One of the things I'm looking forward to doing when it gets warmer out is start biking partway into work. I may eventually bike the 17 miles in but right now I'm interested in keeping the commute length down in addition to the exercise so I'll be driving the 50MPH section of road that goes half the way and bike the rest.

• Eric M Russell (1/26/2012)

Coincidentally, while shaving and getting suited up this morning, I started thinking about the idea that we should not consider the time we put in at work as "time spent" but rather time that we "invest". Our time is valuable, we are free to invest it anywhere we choose, and we should expect a fair and solid return on our investments both financially and professionally. If the return on our investment is flat or somehow on a downward trend, then we should consider moving our investment somewhere else. Of course, we should periodically take a close look at how we're contributing as well.

Well stated and very true, most especially if you are a dedicated and experiences DBA and software developer with depth in your skill set.

Being provided a decent vacation package goes a long way toward providing return on your investment in my opinion. If can accomplish in 40 hours what it might take someone else 80 hours to do I'd be looking for a dividend of sorts.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• jay holovacs (1/26/2012)

Interesting concept.

My lawyer who injured his back in sports when young uses a stand up computer desk (and also sits on a large pilate? ball instead of a chair).

BTW Buck Woody could have easily and more elegantly met his 100 target by getting a rollabout chef's prep table. I periodically commandeer that when working from home.

Working out keeps me fit and probably more comfortable in my desk chair for longer periods of time. Honestly, I couldn't imagine working at a desk standing up. I did this one week in a datacenter and all I could think of is how I wanted to sit back down 🙂

It seems that mousing causes more repetitive stress than operating a keyboard. For that reason I'll switch hands once or twice a day; of course moving the mouse and pad to the side of the mousing hand.

Ken

• Although I definitely agree that keeping healthy improves your odds, but it's by no means a guarantee you will be around, even tomorrow. We had a guy about two years ago that ate well, exercised every day, kept his weight and blood pressure down, and died of cancer in a six month period. When it's your time, it's your time, so I try not to focus on how much time I have left, instead I focus on every day I got, as a gift. The fact of the matter is, no one has got that figured out. Any one who thinks that they have, tends to sound a little preachy IMHO. When it really comes down to it, life is so uncertain, that's a fact. The older you get, the more you realize that. 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (1/26/2012)

When it's your time, it's your time, so I try not to focus on how much time I have left, instead I focus on every day I got, as a gift. The fact of the matter is, no has got that figured out. Any one who thinks that they have, tends to sound a little preachy IMHO. 😀

Anyone who really has that down knows it's not worth debating whether or not they do.

• I work out 3-5 times a week as I have a hypermobile spine that can become misaligned very easily. To help stabilise my back I got a Bambach Saddle Seat chair and had my desk raised. The chair is brilliant! I have had much fewer problems with my back and as a result feel better and am able to exercise for longer and with more intensity. I can also concentrate for longer at work too.

Cheers,

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply