Header/footer not showing up in subreport

• I have a report with a header and footer. However, when I use it as a subreport in a different report, the header and footer do not show up.

What is going on -- is there a way to make the header and footer show up???  I am using Reporting Service 2005.

Cynthia

• No, headers and footers do not appear for a subreport; the headers and the footers for the main report are used.  Also be aware that if you have a subreport embedded in a table, and any groups are set to repeat headers/footers, they will not print on subsequent pages if the subreport runs past 1 page.

Dave

• Yes, I guess that makes sense, actually, seeing as you can put a subreport anywhere on a page, and header/footer would not make any sense.

My problem is:  I need to permit the user to batch reports for printing -- to be able to click on a button, and it will generate a number of reports, and then the user can print them in one print job.  My initial solution was to put a subreport inside a list control, so a single report would consist of any number of subreports and they would appear to be separate reports.  But this is not going to work, because the reports I want to generate all have headers and footers.

Does anyone have any idea how this could be done?  I need to make it so the user does not have to click the "print" button for every single report, because there may be hundreds.

• I would enter all the reports in as subreports and in order to show a "header" and "footer" to seperate each report, I'd put the company logo and information in the body section of my subreports.  Then in the main report remove the header and footer otherwise it won't line up with the subreport headers/footers.

Now if you want the company information (that's within a table row) to show at the top of each page printed, make sure you choose properties, repeatOnNewPage = True.  Or if it's image, go to properties and select repeat report item with data region on every page then tie it to the data.

• Thanks for the suggestion.  I was able to get a header and footer to appear by getting rid of the subreport header and footers, and putting the subreports into tables with a header and footer.  (I think that's what you were suggesting.) Unfortunately, table footers don't behave like page footers -- that is, they don't appear at the bottom of the page.  That's really crucial -- our reports have to look very professional.

I guess it's just not possible to do what I want, short of somehow extending or customizing Reporting Service -- don't even know if that's possible.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply