Having No Routine

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Having No Routine

• There's really no difference for me.  It's all kind of like the cartoon at the following link except I have a white beard. 😀

http://www.commitstrip.com/en/2020/03/19/stay-at-home/

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• so about telecommuting, do sql folks typically vpn to their desktop and run queries from there, or do you have ssms locally and run queries locally with the sql connection through the vpn?

I see advantages both ways, I currently vpn to the desktop and run queries from there.

About the routines, well I have no routines.

• Re: queries. You can jump to your desktop if available and run queries, or run them locally. What you do may depend on networking. Ideally, I'd run them from my desktop as if VPN goes away, I want the query to continue running. The strongest network connection is where you should run them from.

• ".. I'd like to think this is a short term crisis, but I really have no idea. As I look back week to week, I barely recognize the world. Things happen every few days that I never would have imagined outside of a Hollywood movie. It's shocking, saddening, and depressing. I haven't every struggled with depression, but I think I am a bit now, especially as I empathize with many others. The stories of struggles resonate with me and the dismissals are maddening.."

It feels like the months following 9/11 or the 2008 economic crisis. I hate to sound dismissive, and I feel for those who have lost loved ones, but I still think we have to put all this into perspective. According to the CDC, each year an average of 60 thousand people die from the common flu. Like I said a few weeks back: the real long term threat society is facing isn't the potential loss of life caused directly by the Corona virus and future versions of the virus - but rather how society responds to it. I accept the fact that every few years we're going to have a serious global pandemic, but what I can't accept is a world governed by fear mongers and opportunists, a world where we lose our freedom and way of life.

My family and I are staying home and taking precautions, but I'm also skeptical about the narratives being spun by the government and media about how we need to accept "the new normal". We need to confront the immediate crisis, but then think and debate before we take any sweeping and long term political and economic changes.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I am not just empathizing with those sick, but also those that having economic issues. This response is going to devastate many families.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I am not just empathizing with those sick, but also those that having economic issues. This response is going to devastate many families.

Yes, society's [response] to the Corona virus has disrupted the economy and families - perhaps more than what is necessary. When folks are anxious and afraid, they often feel compelled to act and make decisions that they later regret with hindsight.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I am not just empathizing with those sick, but also those that having economic issues. This response is going to devastate many families.

Yes, society's [response] to the Corona virus has disrupted the economy and families - perhaps more than what is necessary. When folks are anxious and afraid, they often feel compelled to act and make decisions that they later regret with hindsight.

What sort of decisions are you disapproving of?

• deleted

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by  x. Reason: i should know better than visit this place
  • Eric M Russell wrote:

Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Ok Eric, but saying that people are overreacting is just feeding the problem, which is that we only have ONE real tenable weapon, and that's trying not to be spreading it around. I think the best illustration of that was some doc explaining the infection rate between flu and COVID-19, at the transmission level of ten transmissions, it's the difference between being responsible for 14 people being sick (flu) versus 59,000 people being sick (COVID-19)

It may not affect you or your loved ones, but dammit, can't everyone just hang out at home for a little while so it doesn't affect EVERYONE's loved ones? I personally know two people who are two hops away from it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Let's please not debate the spread, the impact on the world, or the response. This was really a piece about us coping as individuals, not becoming more upset. Neither you nor I can change the responses of government here.

There are other forums, and better ones, for letting your feelings on that being known.

Here I was just curious how you were adapting and letting you know it's affecting me and my work.

• The President just reported success with the malaria drugs and sited a specific episode where a guy was dying from Covid-19 and had been both written off and had said his goodbyes to his family.  Shortly after, they dosed him and to make a much longer story shorter, it was basically a miracle recovery.  Let's all hope there's some real meat on that.  Apparently the FDA has approved it in record time for use against Covid-19 according to what the President just said.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• One of the complications of COVID-19 is the possibility of getting pneumonia. Even though I had the pneumonia vaccine, I got pneumonia in February 2018. I wasn't hospitalized, but pneumonia sucks! A good night would be getting about two hours of sleep.

The measures taken have taken a hit on the economy, small and large businesses, and the stock market. But the concern is that if it spreads exponentially, it could overwhelm the hospital systems like it did in Italy where doctors decide who gets treatment and who dies. My IRA has taken a huge hit, losing 34% in a month; I was planning to retire next year.

Parents don't have their support system for alternative child care since the grandchild may kill grandma or grandpa by passing COVID-19 to them.

I am one of those in the high risk category with a chronic respiratory disease, so that is a double whammy for me. My wife is in the same category, just not a respiratory disease; but she retired in 2017. When telecommuting became an option last week, I mentioned to my manager that I am in the high-risk category. But that week, the governor ordered all non-essential state employees to work from home; essential employees mean law enforcement, healthcare, ...

I'm sticking to a routine. I wake up when the alarm goes off, shower, get dressed. I catch up on news and then log into work. My employer uses a mix of GoToMyPC and VPN for remote work. The only thing missing is the commute to work. My commute last week on Monday and Tuesday was easy with no school related traffic on the road since the governor closed schools through the end of March.

• Be safe Ralph, and I hope you come through this ok.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

Be safe Ralph, and I hope you come through this ok.

Thanks Steve.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply