HAVING EXISTS

• Robert Frasca (9/8/2010)

..., there can never be anything GREATER THAN a?...

Robert, I believe the key is to treat the groups individually. Therefore, when Group 1 from "a" is being evaluated (because of the group by), it is being evaluated against the whole QotD table "b".

Here, we are looking for the GroupNames from the grouped set "a" whose MAX(a.TheValue) values are less than the "b.TheValue"

Since the MAX(a.TheValue) for Group 1 is 3, which is same as the max value for "b" it does not appear in the result set.

The MAX(a.TheValue) for Group 2 is 2, which is less than "b", and therefore it appears in the result set.

Hope that clears things out a bit. You can break the query into two, with the first part being:

SELECT a.GroupName, MAX(a.TheValue)

FROM QotD AS a

GROUP BY a.GroupName, a.TheValue

Now compare this with "b" - you should start getting a feel of the internal workings.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nakul Vachhrajani.
    http://nakulvachhrajani.com

Follow me on
    Twitter: @sqltwins

• In a recent blog, Kalen Delaney said she is frequently asked why is there a need to understand the internals of SQL Server. I think this question illustrates why. The key to getting the right answer is an understanding of the sequence of events during the query processing - the HAVING clause is processed after the GROUP BY and acts on the result set from the earlier phases.

I learned this from Itzik Ben-Gan's book 'Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2008: T-SQL Querying'. Chapter 1, Logical Query Processing, has a great section on the sequence of events that occurs when the query processor gets to work. I really recommend this book to anyone who is struggling to understand the explanation for this QotD.

Tony

• Group 1 - max(a) is 3 ---- nothing in b is greater than a

Group 2 - max(a) is 2 ---- 3 (in b which is the whole table) is greater than 2 so this is true

Group 3 - max(a) is 3 ---- nothing in b is greater than a

Group 4 - max(a) is 3 ---- nothing in b is greater than a

Group 5 - max(a) is 1 ---- 2 & 3 (in b which is the whole table) are greater than 1 so this is true

Group 6 - max(a) is 2 ---- 3 (in b which is the whole table) is greater than 2 so this is true

Group 7 - max(a) is 3 ---- nothing in b is greater than a

Okay, I've got it now. I think I was getting my a and b contexts confused. Thanks for the help folks. It probably helped that I increased my blood caffeine level.

GREAT question. The amount of smoke coming out of my ears has doubled.

"Beliefs" get in the way of learning.

• A while back, I promised to post the QotD code in a copy/paste ready format in the discussion when I have the code as a graphic in the question. Yet, I always forget to do as I promised. My apologies to all those who already spent time typing it in for yourself.

And to those who want to try it out, and experiment to see how small changes affect the result, here is some SQL you can copy and paste:

CREATE TABLE QotD

(GroupName varchar(20) NOT NULL,

TheValue int NOT NULL,

PRIMARY KEY (GroupName, TheValue)

);

go

INSERT INTO QotD (GroupName, TheValue)

SELECT 'Group 1', 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Group 1', 2 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Group 1', 3 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Group 2', 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Group 2', 2 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Group 3', 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Group 3', 3 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Group 4', 2 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Group 4', 3 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Group 5', 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Group 6', 2 UNION ALL

SELECT 'Group 7', 3;

go

SELECT a.GroupName --, MAX(a.TheValue)

FROM QotD AS a

GROUP BY a.GroupName

HAVING EXISTS (SELECT *

FROM QotD AS b

WHERE b.TheValue > MAX(a.TheValue));

go

DROP TABLE QotD;

go

EDIT: I added an extra column, commented out, to the SELECT. This might help you see what happens.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Thanks for the question Hugo and the practical application example. Your explanation of the QOTD from two days ago provided a great refresher and helped me get it right.

In regards to your practice application example, assuming I understand the requirement, I believe there is a mistake in the having clause. See the comment in the first select statement.

Here is a full working example with set up and tear down.

CREATE TABLE Orders(OrderNo INT,OrderDate DATETIME,CustomerNo INT)

CREATE TABLE OrderItems(OrderNo INT,Amount INT, ItemCode VARCHAR(10))

INSERT Orders

VALUES(100,'9-8-10',1),(101,'9-8-10',2),(102,'9-8-10',3)

INSERT OrderItems

VALUES(100,1,'Bike'),(100,2,'Tire'),(101,2,'Spokes'),(102,3,'Pedal')

DECLARE @CustomerNo AS INT = 1

SELECT o.OrderNo, o.OrderDate,

SUM(oi.Amount) AS TotalOrderAmount

FROM Orders AS o

INNER JOIN OrderItems AS oi

ON oi.OrderNo = o.OrderNo

WHERE o.CustomerNo = @CustomerNo

GROUP BY o.OrderNo, o.OrderDate

HAVING NOT EXISTS

(SELECT *

FROM Orders AS o2

INNER JOIN OrderItems AS oi2

ON oi2.OrderNo = o2.OrderNo

WHERE o2.OrderNo <> o.OrderNo

AND o2.OrderDate = o.OrderDate

GROUP BY o2.OrderNo

HAVING COUNT(oi2.ItemCode) = COUNT(oi.ItemCode)); -- Changed the <> to =

SELECT o.OrderNo, o.OrderDate,

SUM(oi.Amount) AS TotalOrderAmount

FROM Orders AS o

INNER JOIN OrderItems AS oi

ON oi.OrderNo = o.OrderNo

WHERE o.CustomerNo = @CustomerNo

GROUP BY o.OrderNo, o.OrderDate

HAVING COUNT(oi.ItemCode) <> ALL

(SELECT COUNT(oi2.ItemCode)

FROM Orders AS o2

INNER JOIN OrderItems AS oi2

ON oi2.OrderNo = o2.OrderNo

WHERE o2.OrderNo <> o.OrderNo

AND o2.OrderDate = o.OrderDate

GROUP BY o2.OrderNo);

DROP TABLE Orders

DROP TABLE OrderItems

• Bradley Deem (9/8/2010)

In regards to your practice application example, assuming I understand the requirement, I believe there is a mistake in the having clause. See the comment in the first select statement.

You are absolutely right. Sorry for that mistake, and thanks for posting the corrected script.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Good question, but there's an error in the explanation of the answer. At the end, it should say "with a maximum for TheValue of less than 3", not "less than 2".

• Tony Bater (9/8/2010)

In a recent blog, Kalen Delaney said she is frequently asked why is there a need to understand the internals of SQL Server. I think this question illustrates why. The key to getting the right answer is an understanding of the sequence of events during the query processing - the HAVING clause is processed after the GROUP BY and acts on the result set from the earlier phases.

I learned this from Itzik Ben-Gan's book 'Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2008: T-SQL Querying'. Chapter 1, Logical Query Processing, has a great section on the sequence of events that occurs when the query processor gets to work. I really recommend this book to anyone who is struggling to understand the explanation for this QotD.

Strictly speaking, this is not about the internals of SQL Server, but about the logical stucture of T-SQL. First and foremost, you need to understand the logical schema, because that's the only way you can write code that fits the schema, as well as tell if a given coding problem is your error or Microsoft's 😛

The primary reason to understand the internals of SQL Server comes after that -- so you can know how to write queries that are not only logically correct, but that will perform well within the constraints of SQL Server and your environment.

In other words, you learn the logical process to write code that works, and then learn the actual internal process so you can write code that works well.

(Disclaimer: I got the question wrong, because I have much to learn about both subjects :hehe: )

• Excellent Question

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• WOW Hugo. Thanks for the question. Really had me thinking.

• That made my head swim. I was really confused after the explaination but as usual the discussion cleared it up. Thanks everyone.

• Great question! Thanks.

• Great question!

• dbowlin (9/8/2010)

QoTD has really been kicking my butt the last couple of weeks. I had to reread the explanation a couple of times to understand it. Good question, thanks.

Ditto. I'm getting some of them right, but Hugo really has my number. He posts some great questions, and invariably I get them wrong, but in this case I am going to have to study not only his original explanation but also the example he posted in the discussion (above). I don't understand it yet and I really want to.

Thanks, Hugo!

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Really good fun question. Thanks Hugo.

I looked at it for a bit and concluded that if it didn't generate an error message then it should return the three groups with no 3 in them. Would it generate an error? Well, why should it? Having needs a logical condition expression, so an "exists" expression should be OK as long as it obeys the rules for all logical condition expressions in a Having clause (ie don't refer to an non-aggregated column attribute of a row contributing to the group other that one of the grouping attributes). But it took me a while to convince myself that banning "Having Exists" would be silly, in fact I wasn't 100% certain so I was relieved when the website told me I had gotten it correct.

Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply