Having a MDF and NDF

• Hi

I have a database where there is a mdf file with size 357 Mb and a ndf file 2.35 Gb.

Is this a problem or not ?

If so, can the two become one ?

Kind regards

JV

• JV

No, it's not a problem, unless, for instance, you have lots of free space in one that is stopping the other from growing. Yes, you can merge them into one - just move the objects from the filegroup you don't want to keep to the one you do.

John

• Dipending on their design, some databases have only system objects on file mdf, and other objects data on further file ndf.

That could be the reason for little dimension.

For my experience, this architecture is convenient.

Before you change configuration, take information on how your db is used.

• Hi

thanks for your quick reply.

It is a Navision or Microsoft Dynamics database.

Kind regards

JV

• Hi,

This is not at all a problem, if there is a free disk space u can un-restrict the file growth of .mdf, and restrict the file growth of .ndf . so that transactions will goes to .mdf file.

• srinath.vanama (6/23/2011)

Hi,

This is not at all a problem, if there is a free disk space u can un-restrict the file growth of .mdf, and restrict the file growth of .ndf . so that transactions will goes to .mdf file.

That only applies if the two files are in the same filegroup. The solution I gave earlier only applies if they aren't.

John

• It's not a problem to have 2 or more datafiles.

In a case opposite than yours I have problems, since the first datafile mdf contains both system and non system data. Even if I've added further ndf, all used and growing, the first mdf always needs to expand when system data is inserted (little writes at particular events, such as autogrowths) and this is a problem because it's quite big.

Having a mdf only for system objects avoids this situations.

• Yes john, i agree with u, here the post is about .mdf and .ndf sizes,

we can merge the objects into the new file group .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply