Has anyone seen major issues with SP4?

• Based upon the lack of threads, it appears that SP4 is pretty solid, but I was wondering if anyone had significant issues with SP4.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

• If you're using AWE, you'll need to install the hotfix as SP4 has a bug with respect to AWE memory. I think that's the main bug people have noticed.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Thanks, I had caught that one but forgot to mention it.  It is one of the reasons I haven't applied SP4 yet.

• Let us know how it works. I put it on my laptop, but a little chicken to put it into production

• Steve,

What? You don't have a full fledged test system that mirrors your production system with a full set of regression tests to run?  Does that scare you?

Neither do I and it scares me for lots of reasons.

• I currently have it on one server in production, but it does non-critical reporting. Haven't seen any issues with it there.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I've installed SP4 on about 60 SQL servers with no ill-effects. You need to be carefull about the order of installing if you have replication (publishers/distributors first).

Pat Mong

• Thanks Pat, Brian, and Steve.  I am glad to know that MS at least gets some things right some of the time.

I guess installing it will be a New Years Resolution.

• I wish I had a full fledged test system. Maybe I should ask Andy and Brian for one for Christmas next year

• Well if they really loved you, or at least the work you do, they would give you one for Valentine's day.

• I've installed SP4 on about 60 SQL servers with no ill-effects. You need to be carefull about the order of installing if you have replication (publishers/distributors first).

Pat Mong

I am a little confused, and poised to deploy sp4. According to Microsoft (3.5 in this link) http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/b/d/1bdf5b78-584e-4de0-b36f-c44e06b0d2a3/ReadmeSql2k32sp4.htm#_database_and_desktop_engine_enhancements you must install on distributor first, then publisher. Anyone else have experience, comments?

Also, any issues within a clustered environment?

Terry

• I belive that agrees with what Pat posted as I would interpret (publishers/distributors first) to mean that it has to go onto those servers before the subscribers and if MS wants you to do the publisher before the distributor, I would do that saving subscribers for last.

Anyone else?

• We've seen only one problem, but it's pretty serious.  We have gotten "Internal SQL Server Error" on some queries of the form:

INSERT INTO TableName (C1, C2) SELECT C1, C2 FROM T1 JOIN T2 JOIN T3 etc.

Somehow the complexity of the select statement is a problem.  We found a workaround, which is to break up the query to insert the select statement into a table variable, then do a simple insert from the table variable into the final destination table.

We've had this happen on a couple different queries, on just a few customer databases.  (We sell a shrink-wrap application so everyone is using the exact same schema, but only a couple customers have hit the problem.)

Unfortunately since this only occurs sporadically, we don't know that we've caught every instance where this error could occur.  We've been running SP4 on customer databases since June 2005.

• Thanks Ted, that is good to know.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply