Has anyone applied SP3a to SP3?

• Our main database is part of a vendor product. Back when SQL Server SP3 came out, I applied it. When SP3a came out, Microsoft said there was no need to apply it if you have SP3 applied. Now the vendor (who doesn't support SP4 yet) is stating that we need to apply SP3a for their product to work properly.

However, when I run SP3a on the system (which already has SP3), it seems to run fine. But when I do a select to get the version, it still shows 760 (SP3) not 766 (SP3a). If I run SELECT ServerProperty('ProductVersion'), ServerProperty('ProductLevel'), ServerProperty('edition') it shows SP3.

So, my question is - is it possible to apply SP3a to SP3?

-SQLBill

• There is really no visible server difference between SP3a and SP3; the main difference for us here was that 2 of the clients DLLs are very different in how prepared SQL perform.

We were one of the company that got hit with a performance issue that SP3a fixed.

Tim S

I think it is possible to apply SP3a to SP3 servers.

Tim S

• Yes you can, you can tell the difference by opening up books online. sp3a updates books online and I believe it tells you it is the updated version. With regard to patching MS advises upgrade for specific issues so if all is fine with sp3 there's no need to patch.

• Yes, I know MS says there's no need to apply 3a if you have 3 applied. However, our vendor's product apparently 'pulls' the version and won't work unless it's SP3a (8.00.766).

Anyways.....I finally found the information I needed on Microsoft's site. Just when you think using @@Version or ServerProperty('ProductVersion'), ServerProperty('ProductLevel') works.....turns out sometimes it doesn't give you the right information......

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819334

How to Distinguish Between SQL Server 2000 SP3 and SQL Server 2000 SP3a

To determine whether you have SQL Server 2000 SP3 or SQL Server 2000 SP3a installed, check the version number of the Net-Library file, Ssnetlib.dll. If the version number of this file is 2000.80.760.0, you have SQL Server 2000 SP3. If the version number of this file is 2000.80.766.0, you have SQL Server 2000 SP3a.

Assuming that an instance was installed by using the default settings, you can find the Ssnetlib.dll file in one of these locations: • Default instance: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Binn\Ssnetlib.dll 

• Named instance: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQLServer\MSSQL$<InstanceName>\Binn\Ssnetlib.dll 

-SQLBill

• BTW-checking BOL doesn't always work.  BOL can be updated by itself or by updating the Client Tools.  Also, there have been other updates to BOL since SP3a and I've applied all of the BOL updates.

-SQLBill

• If you must get @@version to show > .760, you can install one of the post SP3 hotfixes to get it up to .818 or higher.

Dylan Peters
    SQL Server DBA

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply