Hardware requirements for sql installation

• Hi,

We need to install sql server 2008 r2 on win sql server 2012 r2.FOr cost consideration ,client want to use 1 cpu and 2 GB ram for windows server

Could you confirm if 1 cpu and 2GB of memory would be sufficient for this small database with low access requirements?

i think we will face performance issue if we have only 1 cpu and 2 GB ram.Could any one suggest me and let me know the mircosft recommendations.

Many Thanks,

• How small is a small database?

A quick look at google found this web page - it might give the information you need http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/sql-server/#fbid=GCBoDn-lDgu

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Based on my experience; I have used single VM processor and 2GB ram, for a small databases (Less than 3-5 GB) where user base is less 10 to 20 users with database services alone installed (no reporting services/Analysis service/integration services). This is mainly because of additional license cost.Many times I had to upgrade the memory to 4 GB based on the utilization.

If you are using physical server (Check number of cores in 1 physical processor) ; for small database(less than 5 GB); less than 20 users; only database services then it should be fine.

For Virtual servers I would recommend start with 1 VM processor and 4 GB Ram, if hot add is enabled on the server then you add the additional resources on fly.

In general; with 1 VM processor and 2 GB RAM you will definitely see a continues spike on the CPU/memory utilization.

Thank you,

• Thanks for update,

We are using Virtual Machine, with Windows Server 2012 R2 on it

Many Thanks

• Hi Bala,

Try to get an estimation of how and what actually will be the use of the SQL and dbs. Usually its told as to be 'very small', but eventually its experienced that the usage is really not so limited.

You will also have to find what all will the system be used for - just SQL installation ? only Database Service?

Having said 2GB seems to be pretty much on the bare minimum side of requirements for OS (Win 2012 as per your post).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply