Halo 3

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Halo 3

• The words in the keynote that got my attention were "seamless upgrade". There were sufficient nice things about 2005 on the relational and administrative side that we decided to quickly use 2005 for new projects. However I recently had one of our data marts upgraded from 2000 to 2005 and, while you could describe the relational upgrade as seamless, that wasn't true of the cubes. The Analysis Services improvements coming in 2008 (both with respect to design and performance) may be a good reason to wait till it hits the shelves. On the other hand, maybe doing the design with CTP 5 will be sufficient (the squigglies will show hints for AS 2005)? Fortunately there were sessions at PASS 2007 on hierarchies and MDX performance hints, so I'm hopeful we can resolve our main performance problem and upgrade the production server. It was interesting to hear the comment at the start of a MS webcast about 6 weeks ago along the lines of "AS 2005 is capable of good performance, it's just that hardly anyone manages to achieve that performance".

Nice to spot you in Denver, Steve. Thanks very much for the reception, polo shirt and book! At the moment I'm suffering from "back home blues". Denver is the nicest city I've been to so far. Hope I can return.

• Glad you enjoyed it and hope to see you again next year!

I'll talk a little about "seamless" upgrades soon 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply