Halloween

• Abbs (10/31/2008)

Once upon a nightmare query, while I pondered, weak and weary,

Over many a quaint and curious part of code,

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a hacking,

Someone gently hacking, hacking at my network node.

"'Tis some colleague", I muttered, "knocking at my network node -

Only this," I did decode.

Well done! May I circulate this?

• Carla Wilson (10/31/2008)

Abbs (10/31/2008)

Once upon a nightmare query, while I pondered, weak and weary,

Over many a quaint and curious part of code,

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a hacking,

Someone gently hacking, hacking at my network node.

"'Tis some colleague", I muttered, "knocking at my network node -

Only this," I did decode.

Well done! May I circulate this?

Hi Carla - Thanks. Fee free to circulate - it's a plagiarised/SQL-fied version of "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe, so I call this one "The Hacker". Maybe I'll do a few more stanzas for next Hallowe'en.

https://www.abbstract.info/ - my blog
    http://www.sqlsimon.com/ - my experiences with SQL Server 2008

• Yes, I recognized the play on Poe, which is what I really enjoyed about it - and I find it much scarier than a raven! 🙂

• simple and good question but 13 points, I think is too much to give.

May be author thought of 13 figure because it stands for scary !!!

SQL DBA.

• I am surprised! Not that I got the question wrong, but that you knew that Stockings was my cat! :w00t:

--
    Please upgrade to .sig 2.0

• Don Preston (10/31/2008)

I've spent my entire life in Detroit and from the time I was a kid in the 1960s, the night before Halloween was called Devil's Night. On Devil's Night, every miscreant kid roamed the streets and apparently tried to burn the city down. I didn't learn until much later that the tradition was unique to Detroit. My parents wouldn't even consider letting me out to roam with my friends on Devil's Night so I can't attest to specifics but arsons were typically over 1000 that night. It's difficult to say what percentage were insurance scams also.

As I said earlier though, about 10 years ago, the mayor at that time, Dennis Archer, organized community groups to put a stop to it and much of this generation of Detroit children have never heard of it....thankfully.

Wow, that does sound hellish. Good riddance!

Thanks for the info,

webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• And as everybody knows, the best tricks involve pyrotechnics! I say points for everybody except those stocking-stuffers!

• The humor questions always have a disproportionate number of points. They're fun, and hopefully everyone gets them right so it doesn't matter.

13 being a bad luck, spooky kind of number seemed appropriate for Halloween.

• For some people, Halloween is the start of the New Year, and all kinds of celebration are appropriate - including fireworks. So "fireworks" is not a wrong answer. Sigh.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply