Growth Increment resetting...

• Can anyone out there help me shed some light on this. We have an 11GB database that we are administering remotely using dial-up and connecting to the machine, then registering the database on our local Enterprise Manager to carry out Admin tasks.

The database auto growth increment keeps resetting itself to 10%. The problem here is that in the time it takes the RAID array to allocate 1 GB of space for the next growth increment we have applications timing out and causing cascading locks through the database. The database is constantly being fed information in the form of scanned images from 6 book scanners running constantly, scanning as fast as their Twain interface will allow.

If we reset the growth increment to 10MB the database grows more frequently, but the increment is fast enough to prevent the lock-up of the scanners described above. While we were on-site we proved this and everything was working OK, then a couple of weeks ago things began to lock up again, and when we logged in to look at the system, the auto-growth increment was set to 10%... Imaging our surprise, so we reset it to 10MB, and the following day it was back to 10%.

We even switched off all the overnight maintenance jobs last night to try and track down the phantom resetter, but this morning it was back to 10%. I changed it, then 2 hours later when one of our other DBA's logged in it was back to 10%, so he changed it, then an hour later it was back to 10% when I checked it...

Anyone out there have any ideas on how to exorcise the ghost in our machine?

Paul Anderson

(the database in question in in North Africa and I'm in the UK, so I can't just pop over and look at the server either )

• what you probably want to do is create a new file (of say, 10Gb!) or manually increase the size of the DB file to something reasonable (say, 20Gb!). Although having Autogrow on is handy in emergencies, u do a) Run into the Timeout Problems ur having and b) It makes for a very fragmented disk.

Creating a 10GB file for an SQL Server takes about 10-15mins, so u'll want to do it at a quiet time!

As for the "ghost" problem, cant say i've seen that one ... are u sure u haven't got some overkeen DBA (thinking he know's better!) resetting it on the quiet!??

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply