Growing Log Files

• GilaMonster (4/8/2013)

SQLCrazyCertified (4/8/2013)

GilaMonster (4/8/2013)

mp5387 (4/8/2013)

Now for providing transactional backup which method is good? append or overwrite

Neither.

Overwrite would be rather silly with log backups since you need all log backups in sequence to restore. Set it to overwrite and you'll only have the last one, useless for restoring.

Append leaves all backups in the same file which means your file is growing larger and larger and anything goes wrong you lose the entire set of backups rather than one.

All backups to their own file, timestamp in the file name.

Also, create a clean up job to remove the old trans log backup files after taking a new full backup everyday.

Agreed and thanks for correcting!

SueTons.

SueTons.

I wouldn't recommend that. In fact, I'd say that's not a particularly good idea. What happens if that new full backup is damaged and won't restore? By deleting all the log backups from the previous day, you now have no way to recover.

I keep a full week of full and log backups if I can. At minimum 2 days worth.

Regards,
    SQLisAwe5oMe.

• My plan for backup is daily full backup, and transactional log backup for every 5 minutes because we do not have much transactions.My data base recovery model is "Full", and I scheduled transactional Backup with time stamp file name, and it works. Now I have problem with restoring transactional log backup. I restored my Full backup with Recovery state " RECOVERY WITH STANDBY" , and Restore options "WITH REPLACE", and it worked for full database, but when I want to restore transactional log backup, it is grayed out. Do you have any solution for this problem?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply