Gratitude

• I appreciate to think if women power will in IT Sector in majority.

• Eric M Russell (12/4/2015)

Regarding the lack of women in DBA roles; I have seen far more female programmers, and I've seen a LOT more female BI developers and female project managers. Now that I think about it, I've seen more female IT executives than I have female DBAs. I believe that women seeking IT jobs generally tend to gravitate toward roles where there is more social interaction. There is a perception (broadly untrue) that database and server administrators are trolls who spend most of their time alone in a dark cave filled with beeping machinery.

We have 6 programmers, 3 are female.

• It's good for the soul to be grateful.

• julie.woolner (12/6/2015)

djackson 22568 (12/4/2015)

phonetictalk (12/4/2015)

David.Poole (12/4/2015)

Whether women are just smarter than men when it comes to taking care of the family, or some other reason - I believe women are less likely to settle for a job that prevents them from raising their kids.

It often comes down to the division of labour within the family unit. That's still frequently uneven with the woman responsible for the bulk of home and child focused duties. That in itself makes anything involving on-call unattractive; they are already on-call for their families.

Having been a DBA for the greater part of my career I can say I've seen very few female applicants or actual DBAs, but those rare individuals have mostly been very good DBAs (and had the strong and assertive characters necessary to cope in predominantly male environments).

Currently I can't say much positively about most of the females I know in technical positions. It really doesn't have anything to do with them being female though, it is just their skills.

However over my career, the majority of females I have worked with have been superior in every way. Due to simple numbers, men have been idiots far more frequently. I think that comes down to the fact that I have worked with more male technical people. It very well could be that females in technology tend to be better in technology because they have to be better to be successful.

Dave

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply