Graph capabilities?

• 1) Dynamic number of axis labels?

I have a 4x100 grid to display as a 4-line graph.  As an example, think of the x-axis as date, the y-axis as sales$.  The graph represents sales of 4 products for the last 100 periods.  The x-axis labels appear on top of one another and are copmletely illegible.  Zoom does nothing but make the mess larger - it does not change the scale of the graph, just the magnification of the mess.

Excel graphs the same data by only showing every Nth label.  I can then mouse over any data point to see the specific values.  It did this for free - I didn't choose any label options in Excel.  In Reporting Services I found no set of label options that gives usable x-axis labels.

2) Graph interaction?

...which brings up the issue of Reporting Services graph objects.  The graph is rendered as an image.  I see no way in which to interact with it as a graph at runtime.  I can't mouse over a point to see the values.  I'd rather not display the giant grid and tell the user to look there for a specific value.  Am I missing something?  Highly likely!

Thanks,

Larry

Larry

• Hi Larry,

There definitely are oddities with the graphing in Reporting Services.  I *think* it's using the Dundas charting engine (could have sworn I saw a Dundas .dll somewhere, but I could be wrong).

In any event, rather than get into everything here, I have an article coming shortly that discuss a lot of the goofy-ness, as well as work arounds.

Not much of answer, but it would be a LENGTHY post to get into everything.

J.

• Hi James,

Maybe when the article is out, u can let us know where can we get it

i guess the article would be a great help.....

thanks

• One thing that might help: Click on the chart properties, and then the X-Axis tab.

The right hand column has some options, one of them is "Numeric or Time-Scale Values".  Clicking that did a pretty good job of paring down the stacked labels!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply