Graduated..working..now what?

• Hello Everyone,

After graduating last year, I currently working as a DW architect. This is a first of a kind project for me.(I've worked on the .net platform and Oracle RDBMS before). I'm using SQL server as the OLTP and also its related tools for data warehousing.

It has been a huge learning experience so far, but i also wanto formalize whatever i have been learning.After reading through various posts on this forum i've got to know of the various certifications offered by Microsoft, especially its MCTP BI certification.

So my question is when would be the best time to take such an exam?

Should i wait for a year or more when i have more experience to give the exam a shot, or just dive in right now. This basically is the crux of my question...is the purpose of the certification to increase your knowledge or help benchmark what you've learnt?

I tried looking at online degrees in DW?BI. But they seem to expensive at this point.

I would like to learn as much as i can at this stage and improve my work, so any inputs would be welcome.....Thanks!

• I'd wait for a year, show you have some experience and then pass the test to show that you've learned something and can pass the test. It probably doesn't matter until you look for another job, though passing the exam might give you ammunition to ask for a raise.

• I agree with Steve. IMO, passing the MS cert exams should be a demonstration of knowledge that you posess and have used in a professional situation. Having said that, you will definitely learn and exercise new skills in preparation for the exams.

TroyK

• Thanks for the advice, realistically i don't plan to give the certifications withing the next 6 months, but i hope to get it done by the end of this year.

Just want to do it soon enough so i do not loose my enthusiasm for it.

I checked the Microsoft website MCITP: business intelligence developer, from the training modules they give, it does look like i would learn a lot. I do not plan to take the training(i will prepare myself), but the course outline indicates the depth. So on that basis, it would seem convincing to take it.

Another question, how much does it cost for these certification exams in general(Ideally i hope to clear it on the first sitting....but then ive always had to work ..work work for it 🙂 ).

And lastly, for the resume, does it add a lot of value? I mean..do recruiters in this field expect you to have a certification?(this is something long term..)

Thanks...

• Certifications in the US are $125 per exam. There have been deals a few times for second chances or retakes at no cost, but I don't know of any right now. You might want to keep an eye on our Database Weekly newsletter or microsoft.com/training for those offers.

With 2008 coming, there will also likely be chances to take the beta exams for 2008 at no cost and if you pass, you get credit.

The exams add something to your resume, but they're a boost to experience, not a substitute.

• Steve Jones - Editor (2/23/2008)

Certifications in the US are $125 per exam. There have been deals a few times for second chances or retakes at no cost, but I don't know of any right now.

MS are currently running the second shot offer http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/secondshot/default.mspx

• The exam fee in The Netherlands (as I heard in all of Europe) is € 140,-. If you buy yourself the Self-paced training kit, there will be a 15% discount (unless you want to participate in the Second Shot promotion).

As said before, please train yourself in real life before taking exams. In my working area (especially in .NET) I have to deal with lots of people 'studying' Braindumps up to their MCPD/MCITP grade and after that they come bother me with questions of the kind I would barely dare to ask google :w00t: ... After one or two years of experience, taking the exams is not that hard anymore...

Keep up your good work!

[font="Courier New"]
    ------------------------
    MCPD Web Developer, MCPD Windows Developer
    [/font]

Computers are made to solve problems you did not have in the days they didn't exist.

• The same with the MS books in the UK, you get 15% discount too. its annoying you cant use it with second shot because they are completely unrelated vouchers.

I took my 70-444 exam yesterday and passed with a score of 810 😀 Only 70-443 to go now and then i have my MCITP. I also suffer from nearly everyone around me using testking/dumps etc which is really frustrating, but like you say, the real life work shows what level your at.

• Congrats 😀 ! Enjoy it! Did you pass at once?

About braindumps etc. etc.: would those guys know what they are doing in real life, that would not bother me so much - I don't care what they earn from their certification and how they got certified - but the problem is that they don't :crying: ... Therefore, with an equal or lower pay check I can solve the shit cause by certified 'smarties'...

Greetings, Bert

[font="Courier New"]
    ------------------------
    MCPD Web Developer, MCPD Windows Developer
    [/font]

Computers are made to solve problems you did not have in the days they didn't exist.

• Yeah i managed to pass first time 🙂 I revised a lot to make sure i did.

Re: the certs, i think any manager would quickly pick out who was genuine and who wasnt. It still seems a lot get through the loop though.

• Revision: "i think any manager WORTH HIS SALARY would quickly pick out who was genuine and who wasn't." Those managers that are not would be the reason for your second sentence.

Animal Magic (4/23/2008)

Yeah i managed to pass first time 🙂 I revised a lot to make sure i did.

Re: the certs, i think any manager would quickly pick out who was genuine and who wasnt. It still seems a lot get through the loop though.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• good point 🙂

• Dear The underdog,

Don't take this the wrong way, but how on earth did you land the job of Data Warehouse Architect? You are candid about your skills, which is great. But my understanding of the word "Architect" (apart from being someone who designs buildings) is a person who is extremely well qualified and experienced in their field. If you were to gain your "MCITP: Business Intelligence Developer" certification, then surely that is exactly what you would be, a Developer. Not an Architect..... maybe in 10 years.

This is not a critism of you, as such. But it is definitely a criticism of the company you work for.

• Well, i did not assume the title of "architect" thats what the company advertised for and they were/are well aware of my skillset. I did not add anything that i did not have when i went for the interview.

But being a smaller company, i guess they couldn't invest in someone more experienced and quite frankly who wouldn't jump at the opportunity to be involved in the design, development and implementation of the DW( at least at the beginning stage of my career). How i go about is left to me. It may not be the best way to go about it, but i have been given a job and i will surely try and make the most of it and have picked up a lot of things so far.

I agree, with matters of the design, the best design would come from someone with a lot of experience, but with every cycle the design is improving. It's still a balance though as with limited resources you have to keep producing results.

Thanks for the feedback!

• I will not question you like Andy. But one thing I believe is luck. I have respect for knowledge and Experience but Luck factor sometimes works. To achieve something (job) is hard but to maintain it is very very hard. It is very 'hard' to replace experience. Best of luck to you for your success.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply