Google FUD

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Google FUD

• If they said the concerns was the ineffective hardware resource handling problems that windows has then I could probably understand it because lets face it, windows eats resources and sure is not resource effective. However, security, there is no OS that is any better.

• Steve,

Have you actually seen that as an official statement from Google? The FUD is created by bad journalism, IMO.

The original FT article mentions "several Google employees", I have yet to see some official statement.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d2f3f04e-6ccf-11df-91c8-00144feab49a.html

• Does anyone really care what OS they use? The fact of the matter regardless of OS the browser required by google opens more security holes! Perhaps we should not www google..:-P

• A-Good-Thing: It's also possible to fix OS level bugs, without having to go back to the supplier.

It may or may not be cheaper, you get the OS for free, but you have to maintain it yourself *shrug*

• "...it's a little like saying you are not going to buy a Ford vehicle because of the Pinto design flaws."

Windows is definitely not Microsoft's 'Pinto'. It's more like the Mustang or F-Series. That is to say, it's a flagship product. I think we will all agree the Pinto was never Ford's flagship, though they did have high hopes for it. If you have a crappy flagship product, people tend not to buy it (unless you are a competition-crushing monopolist, then you can do whatever you like and force yourself onto consumers). But I digress.

I don't see the problem here. Google is about to release ChromeOS so shouldn't they naturally be moving away from Windows where possible? And making a fuss about it?

James Stover, McDBA

• Something smells funny here. Why would Google employees be using IE 6 in the first place? It is two versions old and Google just happens to have their own browser.

This story just doesn't add up.

• Reading articles related to the attack on Google, I am left with the impression that it was a security hole in IE6 that was exploited, not necessarily Windows. What is surprising is that the hackers were able to gain access to so many internal internal network resources after installing the executable code; it seems like a failture in the ability or configuration of Google's corporate firewall and internal access controls.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• IMO the number one Internet security flaw is user execution of un-known content.

You do not know how many times I had to clean root kits of computers because someone had to Play Elf Bowling and saw a “fun” advertisement. I like that all these new highly secure web browsers that do not have any plug-ins or extensions for active or dynamic content. It is easier to secure a blank screen connected to nothing than a full one connected to anything.

I like how you used FUD in your article.

Some may not remember the historical significance as it applies to Microsoft.

This acronym (Fear Uncertainty Doubt) was supposed to have been used internally by Microsoft executives when describing the smear campaign against Netscape and then later Linux.

Google now has its own browser and OS.

Perhaps they are just as evil as the Giants before them after all.

FUD journalism based on fiction has hurt more than one Tech Company.

Usually the one that starts the FUD ends up with the most on them just ask Marc A. and Jim C.

They used to work for that little company known as Netscape.

• Scott Arendt (6/15/2010)

Something smells funny here. Why would Google employees be using IE 6 in the first place? It is two versions old and Google just happens to have their own browser.

I imagine it is for compatibility testing.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I think that bing err google is simply pulling a media stunt. Call it a power play, or whatever - but they are trying to prove a point.

Learn Extended Events

• But that was my point, there is no evidence of Google pulling a media stunt.

I think it is just bad journalism that gets spread out because everyone likes to think about and debate about FUD, perceived or otherwise.

• CirquedeSQLeil (6/15/2010)

Scott Arendt (6/15/2010)

Something smells funny here. Why would Google employees be using IE 6 in the first place? It is two versions old and Google just happens to have their own browser.

I assumed that too. But that doesn't fit with the whole ban on Windows machines. Are they no longer going to do compatibility testing? It just seems like a big marketing ploy.

• A web browser is like an external door on a corporate building; it's where people enter and leave the network. Even if hackers found a way to biggy back an executable program on someone's IE6 browser session, there is still no good reason for that rogue executable to to run amok on Google's internal network, collecting data, and sending it back to the hackers at an offsite location. There are firewalls that can filter specific types of network content and block unauthorized executables from sending or receiving data on internet ports. I'd wish someone would setup a lab and either prove or disprove the assertion that a PC running Mac or Linux could not have been exploited in the same way in the same network environment.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Scott Arendt (6/15/2010)

CirquedeSQLeil (6/15/2010)

Scott Arendt (6/15/2010)

I assumed that too. But that doesn't fit with the whole ban on Windows machines. Are they no longer going to do compatibility testing? It just seems like a big marketing ploy.

No doubt about it. There is an agenda.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply